Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Firefox is a PITA over this issue

When I open FF2, it goes to my homepage no problem. If I stop that page from loading and use my bookmark to go somewhere else instead, it immediately jumps to the mozilla update page informing me that FF has been updated with a new link on the page to go to my homepage. If I then go to bookmarks and click the other link, it will go there.

If I open a new tab, click bookmarks, click a link, it again goes to the updated FF page, with a link to my homepage, and I again have to use the bookmarks link to go where I want it to.

How can I stop this and just go where I want it to go right away?

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firefox is a PITA over this issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firefox is a PITA over this issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Click on tools

In reply to: Firefox is a PITA over this issue

click on options

click on advanced

click on update

I have the top two checked and the bottom two checked. You can choose what you want.

Rick

Collapse -
Install the update

In reply to: Firefox is a PITA over this issue

The only update to Firefox 2.0 so far has been to fix a few potentially nasty security issues. It'd take you probably less than a minute to download and install the update, then restart Firefox to be on your way again. And that's if you're on dialup.

Collapse -
It's already been updated

In reply to: Install the update

It was just reminding me over and over that it was instead of just going to the bookmark.

However, the tools/option tip suggested worked finally...it had to change the context menu in order to stop that. And I appreciate that info.

TONI

Collapse -
TONI, my curiosioty has me thinking of FF but

In reply to: It's already been updated

Would I have to uninstall IE7 ad Uncheck the box for Internet Explorer? I don't want to create a conflict between browsers. Darrell L.

Collapse -
I actually use both .. sometimes like now

In reply to: TONI, my curiosioty has me thinking of FF but

even at the same time. I currently have one window open in IE and one in FF. Reason being is that some sites load extremely slowly for me using dial up with IE because of many graphics on the page, and I have IE set to check for updated/changed webpages each time I visit them (such as these forums), and I have it set to empty my temp int files upon closure of IE.

With FF, it caches those graphics and very rarely has to get new graphics loaded at each site so the page loads much faster since most times the graphics don't change. For streaming graphics, flash, and java it still loads much faster compared to IE.

I have IE set as my default browser but I keep a shortcut to firefox in my quicklaunch area so once I'm on the net if I want to use FF, it opens quickly with a click of the shortcut icon for me.

And I only use OE for my email.

Hope this helps.

TONI

Collapse -
TONI, Dial-up, CA ETrust AV but AOL is email, AIM

In reply to: I actually use both .. sometimes like now

Had a grand ol' time trying to delete OE!! Messenger 4.7 & Butterfly is gone though. FireFox no problem with IE7. TY

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.