Question

Firefox, IE, iTunes, and internet slow to open and connect

When I turn on my computer and log into my user account my desktop appears. However, it use to take only a few seconds for firefox to open up, along with iTunes and other internet applications (IE). Now, it takes about 15 minutes for those programs to load with no other program running. I also observed that my computer doesn't connect to the internet for about 15 min, around the same time firefox opens as indicated by the icon on the bottom right by clock, although the command prompt indicates I am connected. When I try to open My Network Connections within the Control Panel I still need to wait fifteen minutes for it open. Furthermore, other programs that do not use the internet like Word, PowerPoint, and R open immediately following signing into my user account. I initially thought it could be malware, spyware, adware etc., but I ran SpyBot Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware, and McAfee Virus scan and all indicate a good, clean system. I tried a system restore, that failed. What else can I do besdie reinstall the OS? Please Help!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Firefox, IE, iTunes, and internet slow to open and connect
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Firefox, IE, iTunes, and internet slow to open and connect
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Just guessing

Any networked computers connected to this computer?

If so, are there any mapped drives also connected?

Mark

- Collapse -
Reponse to Just Guessing

No, my computer is connected directly to a switch, which is then connected to the wall. Also, I have no mapped network drives.

- Collapse -
Reply Just Guessing

I did install a printer driver for Lexmark Network printer the day before the long Memorial Day weekend, and it seemed to work just fine. Anyway, I uninstalled it and the performance looks promising. I post again if th problem persists or appears to be resolved.

Thanks.

- Collapse -
That's interesting

and good investigation and elimination, hopefully.

I wonder if the delay was with the OS attempting to connect with the printer. Do you keep the printer on, or only turn it on when you need it?

What type of printer, printer/scanner and what model number, and what type of connection, USB, wireless?

Mark

- Collapse -
Reponse to That's Interesting

Ok, so it has been a few days of quick and successful connections after uninstalling the printer. I suspect it is indeed the OS trying to connect to the printer (Lexmark C543dn), which is always on. I connect to it via our local area network.

- Collapse -
Problem solved then

And good work. How does the printer perform after you rolled back the driver?

I did a little bit of research about this problem with the Lexmark, I didn't find much except this;
http://www.fixya.com/support/t1514631-wireless_printer_causing_slow_boot

Not the same Lexmark of course, but it gives me a clue. If Lexmark installs a Service onto the Windows 7 OS, it might be that you can set that to manual instead of automatic, and that might prevent the OS from trying to connect to the printer shortly after bootup. By setting to manual, the service is started when you want to use the printer.

Alternatively, or perhaps in addition, set the PrintSpooler Service to manual as well.

Of course all this may be moot if the printer works as desired, and if so, no further action may be required.

Mark

- Collapse -
Response to Problem solved then.

Ok, so I reinstalled the printer (Lexmark C543dn) on my laptop. This printer has something called "Lexmark Status Messenger," which at first is configured to run at start up. This is what I think is causing the slow, sluggish behavior of opening FireFox and other internet applications. So I unchecked the Run at Startup so it doesn't attempt to connect to the printer when I start my laptop, and it appears my laptop starts and runs normally. Rather than do replicate observerations of turning on and off Lexmark Status Messenger I am just going to leave it as it is, off. Thanks for your help. If things change, I will return.

- Collapse -
Good find, and

in that case, I hope never to hear from you again! Devil

Mark

- Collapse -
Answer
Spybot?

This is sounding like conflicting software. Think back to when it worked proper. What did you install since then?

What can you uninstall? (hint: Spybot and teatimer.)

And please DO THE DMA FIX noted at http://winhlp.com/node/10
Remember I will not discuss that in detail. You can fix it in seconds or you can suffer. Your choice.
Bob

- Collapse -
One more thing.

Adaware can go too.

CNET Forums