Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

FireFox - Hijacking

by gerrymar / March 4, 2007 12:48 AM PST

A few weeks ago, I updated my favourite browser FireFox to ver 2.0.0.2 Up until this morning I've not had any problems but now when I try to get to my personal website I get the message - "Firefox can't find the file at /." This is the same message even if I use the IP address or if I try using an anonymous website. I've no problem using IE which eliminates XP's hidden host file.

I've tried a system restore to a date when everything worked but no luck.

I would prefer to find the problem as to trying to un-installing and reloading Firefox, although I'm not sure this would work. Any suggestion?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: FireFox - Hijacking
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: FireFox - Hijacking
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Problem Solved
by gerrymar / March 4, 2007 1:22 AM PST
In reply to: FireFox - Hijacking

I solved my own problem when I cleaned out the FirFox cache file. Hope this helps someone else.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanx for sharing
by tomron / March 4, 2007 4:38 AM PST
In reply to: Problem Solved
Collapse -
Thanks for the info,
by Ed Bellah / March 5, 2007 4:27 AM PST

I just downloaded the 2.0.0.2 version today and when I would click on a web site shortcut, that message indicating Firefox could not find the site would pop up for a second or two then disappear and the site would open properly. I emptied the Firefox cache and all works fine.

Collapse -
Oops, I spoke too soon
by Ed Bellah / March 5, 2007 7:08 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the info,

All went well for a while and then it started back with the pop-up that the site could not be found, then disappearing and the site opened. Later, it worked fine, and now it's back to getting the message again. It happens when I select a shortcut on my desktop. When I use a hotkey from the keyboard it works fine. When I select a link inside of a site, such as Yahoo, Drudge Report, etc, it works fine. By the way, I have WinXP Media Center Edition 2005 and connect to the internet through a wireless router to a cable modem. I get around 7100 kbps internet download speed, so that is not a problem. I just don't get it.

Collapse -
Scan For Spyware, Adware viruses etc
by gerrymar / March 5, 2007 7:20 AM PST
In reply to: Oops, I spoke too soon

Check my other posting for "WinXP Can also Re-Map URLS" as well as Scan For Spyware, Adware viruses etc.

Collapse -
PS. WinXP Can also Re-Map URLS
by gerrymar / March 5, 2007 5:03 AM PST

WinXp can also re-map a website and it doesn't matter which browser you use. Here is a little unknown tip. To fix this problem navigate to a file inside a hidden directory in "C:\WINDOWS\system32\driver\etc\" called "host". You can edit this file with notepad by finding the bad line and typing in the correct IP address or simply delete this file. If you're not comfortable deleting it, then renamed the file from " host" to "host.old" and save. Then create a new file with nothing in it and simply save it as < host > with no extension name. The "host" file is suppose to help load a previously visited URL a little faster however if you have fast internet connection, you won't notice the difference.

Collapse -
gerrymar, same problem now with FF 2.0.0.3
by Ed Bellah / March 31, 2007 5:54 AM PDT

I was doing fine until today when I downloaded FF 2.0.0.3 and now I'm getting the same message that the site cannot be found, then the site opens, just like before. I went back to your message about hosts file, and am having trouble re-saving it. I deleted the old hosts file and when I try to save it as an empty file, I can save it as a txt file, or by selecting the file type, I have the options of ANSI, Unicode, Unicode big endian, OR UTF-8. Which type should I use? Thanks.

Collapse -
You'll need to rename it...
by John.Wilkinson / March 31, 2007 9:21 AM PDT

Just save it as a regular TXT file, and close it. Next, right-click the file, select Rename, and remove the .TXT extension. If the extension is not displayed you will have to open My Computer, go Tools->Folder Options, select the View tab, and uncheck the option to hide known file extensions. OK your way out, then rename that file. In the end the HOSTS file should have no extension.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Got it, thanks
by Ed Bellah / April 1, 2007 12:36 AM PDT

I had already restored to a Restore Point prior to downloading FF 2.0.0.3 and all was working well back on 2.0.0.2. I did the deleting and renaming of Hosts and tried again. It is doing the same thing, showing the message, "Windows cannot find 'http://www.drudgereport/. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search." This appears on any site entered. After this message appears for a few seconds, the requested site opens OK.

This message sounds more like Windows is searching for a file rather than a URL. Maybe I should just hold off on 2.0.0.3 for a while....

Collapse -
I think I've got it this time...
by Ed Bellah / April 1, 2007 3:14 AM PDT

I went back and found a previous post you had made made, "Likely a corrupted Firefox profile..." from about a year ago, and created a new profile. So far, everything is working fine. thanks twice!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.