Computer Help forum

Question

"Firefox Group Your Tabs" Page(s)

by zlzpqx / April 30, 2014 4:32 AM PDT

I have formed three tab groups in Firefox. They have "somehow" gone into three "Group Your Tabs" pages. Even after reading the following web page, I am not able to figure out as to how to have those three tab groups appear on just one 'Group Your Tabs" page.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tab-groups-organize-tabs

Usually instructions in web sites like the above are very well written so that one can follow them without feeling stuck in any matters such as the one I described. But I obviously need further related instruction from an expert.

Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Firefox Group Your Tabs" Page(s)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Firefox Group Your Tabs" Page(s)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I thought
by James Denison / April 30, 2014 4:47 AM PDT

they would just put them next to each other on the tabs bar.

Collapse -
Answer
OK, see what you mean
by James Denison / April 30, 2014 4:59 AM PDT

not grouping same site tabs in the bar, but that Groups thingie. I just put some pages into it and it created a group, I dragged a couple from it and each created a new group. I then dragged their group back into the first one and there it stayed, as did the second group when I dragged it back into the first one.

Collapse -
Groupie : >)
by itsdigger / April 30, 2014 5:04 AM PDT
In reply to: OK, see what you mean
Devil
Collapse -
Could you please provide further explanation?
by zlzpqx / April 30, 2014 5:34 AM PDT
In reply to: OK, see what you mean

James,

I hope that you understood the problem which I had posted.

What I am looking for, in different words, is MERGER of different "Group Your Tabs" pages (which have somehow got created) into just one "Group Your Tabs" page. I do not understand why Firefox would create more than one "Group Your Tabs" page in the first place. (One can easily execute drag operations WITHIN one "Group Your Tabs" page.)

It is possible that you did provide a solution to my above problem and that I did not understand it.If so, could you please provide a little more elaborate explanation?

Thank you very much.

Collapse -
(NT) Hang on, I'll make a video.
by James Denison / April 30, 2014 5:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
My Immense appreciation, James!
by zlzpqx / April 30, 2014 6:29 AM PDT

I' m looking forward to the video which requires substantial efforts on your part! I could not believe that anyone would allocate so much effort to help somebody posting a problem in this forum.

James, I shall also appreciate a solution to another problem which I have:

Through using the "false" option for Browser.tabs.on Top in about:config, I used to have the tabs bar below the bookmarks bar the way I wanted. Though that option of mine definitely continues to be there, a couple of days ago --perhaps through an automatic update of its latest version, 29, by Firefox?-- the tabs bar moved above the address bar and I just cannot bring it below the bookmarks bar. I would very much like the tabs bar located below the bookmarks bar.

Many thanks!

Collapse -
easy fix
by James Denison / April 30, 2014 7:09 AM PDT

put about:config in the location line.

when you arrive to the configuration section put tabs.ontop into the search line.

toggle it to false.

Collapse -
I already had, and still have, the toggle set to "false"
by zlzpqx / April 30, 2014 7:57 AM PDT
In reply to: easy fix

James,

I already had, and still have, the toggle set to "false" for browser.tabs.on Top in about:config. As I had written, I accordingly always got in the past the tabs bar below the bookmarks bar. The problem of the tabs bar's shift above the address bar suddenly occurred two days ago.

I have already confirmed that the the toggle setting to "false" for browser.tabs.on Top continues to be there in about:config. That's the frustrating mystery. My wild guess is that the problem of fixedly keeping the tabs bar above the address bar --irrespective of my above "false" toggle setting-- is the result of some change in the latest version 29 of Firefox, which was installed on my computer a few days ago.

Collapse -
latest I have is 28
by James Denison / April 30, 2014 8:33 AM PDT

Do you use "sync" with FF? I have the tabs setting for snyc set to a zero in the values box. That's the only thing I can think of that might override the tabs on top set to false.

Collapse -
James, where exacly is "Sync" in FF?
by zlzpqx / April 30, 2014 9:09 AM PDT
In reply to: latest I have is 28

You wrote: "Do you use "sync" with FF? I have the tabs setting for sync set to a zero in the values box. "

Thinking that I would be able to see the facility to have "tabs setting for sync set to a zero" somewhere in about:config, I looked all over in it, and could not see it.

Could you kindly pinpoint exactly where that facility exists?

Thanks!!

Collapse -
zero or false
by James Denison / April 30, 2014 10:04 AM PDT

services.sync.globalScore

services.sync.nextSync

services.sync.engine.tabs

Since I don't sync, I set these off, but may have no effect on your problem. I think the third one there is probably the more important.

If you use snyc, you can check the log for it at about:sync-log

You may end up needing to either change manually in a pref file, or start over with a Reset of FF, or if what digger posted, you may need to enter it into the about:config section manually.

Collapse -
I just updated
by itsdigger / April 30, 2014 8:59 AM PDT
In reply to: easy fix

FF from v28 to 29 and now on 29 I can't even find "tabs always on top" or " tabs.ontop" in about:config . It worked fine in v28, and could put tabs below the bookmark bar. Seems to be removed in v29 at least on Win 7 and 8.1

Digger

Collapse -
It can be created
by James Denison / April 30, 2014 9:12 AM PDT
In reply to: I just updated

right clk in the about:config space and choose New and Boolean. Put in browser.tabs.onTop and set the value to false

Collapse -
I just wondered if
by itsdigger / April 30, 2014 9:30 AM PDT
In reply to: It can be created

the reason that zlzpqx can't do it in v 29 is because it's not there and has to be created

Digger

Collapse -
Here it is
by James Denison / April 30, 2014 6:41 AM PDT
Link to mp4 Video

I have the original ogg or ogv format if you can't play the conversion to mp4. No sound, just video.
Collapse -
If that doesn't work James...
by Dafydd Forum moderator / April 30, 2014 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Here it is
Collapse -
a lot cuter
by James Denison / April 30, 2014 7:12 AM PDT

I originally thought he was talking about similar tabs being side by side.

Collapse -
Need some help in opening your mp4 vieo!
by zlzpqx / April 30, 2014 7:34 AM PDT

James,

I have both RealLlayer Cloud and Windows Media Player installed on my computer. Clicking on the mp4 video link which you supplied and then selecting either RealPlayer Cloud or Windows Media Player does not lead me to view your video.

Selecting RealPlayer Cloud leads to a download menu containing ffgroup-1.mp4, which, I imagine, has to do with your video. Clicking on it does not do anything.

Selecting Windows Media Player also does not lead me to viewing your video.

I am sorry to bother you so much. But after your putting in so much effort in creating the video for me, I want your efforts to bear fruit in terms of my being able to see the video.

Regards.

Collapse -
download the file
by James Denison / April 30, 2014 7:42 AM PDT

and then have something that reads mp4 video files. I think Quicktime reads it. If you can play ogv files, then I can upload and link that one instead. I tried to set for WMV, but recently I upgraded from Mint 14 to 16 version and haven't reloaded some codecs to do those yet.

If you can view the ogv file here, then I will upload the other file instead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pac-Man_Atari_2600_footage.ogv

Collapse -
Here is ogv media file
by James Denison / April 30, 2014 7:46 AM PDT
In reply to: download the file
Collapse -
(NT) The video played fine in VLC Player. (Just a FYI)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2014 7:46 AM PDT
In reply to: download the file
Collapse -
heh heh, that's what I used to convert it.
by James Denison / April 30, 2014 8:18 AM PDT
Wink
Collapse -
Thanks, Bob
by zlzpqx / April 30, 2014 9:22 AM PDT

Thanks, Bob.

You may want to have a quick look at my 4/30/14 3:53 PM post in this forum, titled "I could see your cute video using VLC!" (Your suggestion that I use VLC was great!)

As I wrote there in that post, by the way, my strange problem persists!

With regard to my other problem of my inability to have the tabs bar below the bookmarks bar, which also I had described in this forum itself in details at 4/30/14 2:57 PM (title: "I already had, and still have, the toggle set to "false"), I am waiting at this moment for James' further explanation regarding "sync" in Firefox. Hopefully, his solution will work.

Regards.

Collapse -
I could see your cute video using VLC!
by zlzpqx / April 30, 2014 8:53 AM PDT

James,

After my installing VLC at Bob Priffitt's suggestion, I was able to see your cute video using VLC! (None of RealPlayer Cloud, Windows Media Player, or Quicktime had enabled me earlier to see your video.)

On the other hand, I am so sorry to say that the video which you had so elaborately created does not address my weird problem. Let me reiterate what I had written in my 12/30/14 12:34 PM post in reply to one of your earlier notes:

---------------------------------------------

What I am looking for... is MERGER of different "Group Your Tabs" pages (which have somehow got created) into just one "Group Your Tabs" page. I do not understand why Firefox would create more than one "Group Your Tabs" page in the first place. (One can easily execute drag operations WITHIN one "Group Your Tabs" page.)

---------------------------------------------

The way I interpret your video, it beautifully --and cutely!-- demonstrates how to execute drag operations WITHIN one "Group Your Tabs" page.

As I wrote in my above quote, I do not understand why Firefox would create more than one "Group Your Tabs" page in the first place.

Let me also answer here the query in your 4/30/14 2:37 PM post titled "why are you doing this Groups thing anyway?":

I am trying to get the "Group Your Tabs" feature in Firefox (completely satisfactorily) going only because as Mozilla's web page https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tab-groups-organize-tabs tells, I indeed find that feature quite useful!

Thanks for all your extraordinary help,and best regards.

Collapse -
Is this what you have?
by James Denison / April 30, 2014 9:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yes, James, and I would like the three...
by zlzpqx / April 30, 2014 12:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Is this what you have?

Yes, James, and I would like the three tab groups appearing in the three "Group Your Tabs" pages in your illustration to appear on just one "Group Your Tabs" page. (As I have written before, I do not even know ,why Firefox creates more than one "Group Your Tabs" page.)

Many thanks for your continued interest in my problem. I am interested in using the "Group Your Tabs" facility with all tab groups in in just one "Group Your Tabs" page because I find the facility much better that way.

Collapse -
Addendum: I think I understand what's happening
by zlzpqx / April 30, 2014 1:19 PM PDT

James,

I think I understand what's happening: Firefox creates a separate "Group Your Tabs" page for each separate Firefox window, and it does not provide a facility for merging "Group Your Tabs" pages into one.

I am also almost certain by now that Firefox's version 29 does not provide the option, the way it did in the past, for having the tabs bar below the bookmarks bar.

Thanks for all your time.

Collapse -
Exactly
by James Denison / April 30, 2014 10:59 PM PDT

I came back today to tell you that. All you can do then is make bookmarks of it and then open in the other "Window" and add to the group you want. What I do instead of using Groups is to use the bookmarks to "bookmark all tabs" and use that link, or have a folder of bookmarks which I can open all the tabs in it.

Collapse -
why are you doing this Groups thing anyway?
by James Denison / April 30, 2014 7:37 AM PDT

Is it so you can have a group of pages open when Firefox opens? If so, there's an easier way. Open the pages you want and then right clk on a Tab and choose to "bookmark all tabs". You can then set that bookmark to be your opening page. All the tabs will then open each time you start Firefox. Or you can hook it to the Home button instead.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.