Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Firefox & Favorites

by katiebug57 / February 8, 2006 12:14 AM PST

I've heard several times over that Firefox has much less problems with viruses than IE.

I have actually downloaded Mozilla couple of times, but each time I have, not all of my favorites are imported. As a matter of fact, the favorites listed seem to be from an earlier time that I downloaded Firefox.

Even though I removed Firefox from my control panel, is it still somehow on my computer and it is using that old favorites list in some way?

I use favorites all the time. Is there a way to ensure all the favorites import with I download Firefox?

Thank you for your help.
Katiebug

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firefox & Favorites
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firefox & Favorites
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Kinda
by ST3ALTHPSYCH0 / February 8, 2006 12:22 AM PST
In reply to: Firefox & Favorites

There is a profiles folder that contains all your favs and extensions, setting, etc. that I believe is shared amongst all mozilla products. You can either delete this profiles folder (I don't remember exactly where it si, but I'm sure another member will chime in w/ that info) or go to File>Import... and it will ask which browser you want to import from. Personally, I find mozilla too clunky, but I haven't played with it much. I love Firefox, but have had troubles with v. 1.0.5.1 (the newest); however, I have the install file for v. 1.5 if you want it (if I'll get into trouble for this, please somebody inform me). Good luck, and enjoy.

Collapse -
Ah...your profile...
by John.Wilkinson / February 8, 2006 12:32 AM PST
In reply to: Firefox & Favorites

Firefox, Mozilla Suite, SeaMonkey, and Netscape store all of your preferences, extensions, themes, and bookmarks in their own seperate profile folders. When you uninstall one of the browsers, the folder containing all of this data remains so that you can pick up where you left off should you ever decide to reinstall the browser. Thus, Firefox is simply going by what you had setup before instead of obtaining your latest favorites from IE.

Here you have a couple of options:

* Delete the profile folder and start with a blank template from Firefox. The profile folder is local drive:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\random characters.default
NOTE: the Application Data folder is hidden by default so you'll either have to show hidden folders or type that much of the directory in yourself.

* In Firefox, go file->import and obtain the latest from IE.

* There are some extensions that will actively sync your IE favorites and Firefox bookmarks, but the one I would suggest seems to be incompatible with the latest version of Firefox, so it's have to wait.

Hope this helps,
John

P.S. I recommend using an extension such as Bookmark Backup, which will back up your Firefox bookmarks daily so you can recover if you accidentally delete some or if they become corrupted in the future. (Rare, but it does happen.)

Collapse -
Didn't work . . . current cptr IQ = 20!
by katiebug57 / February 8, 2006 2:35 AM PST
In reply to: Ah...your profile...

John,

Downloaded Firefox. Grrr.

First thing I found was that the handy-dandy "import" didn't work, even though Firefox said it did.

Second thing, would not recognize Google as homepage. Kept saying SSL was disabled. I haven't a clue what it is talking about. I did go to "Tools" then "options" then "security" - found CHECKED "Use SSL 2.0" and "Use SSL 3.0"

But since I don't know what an SSL is, what I found under security doesn't mean anything, and either way, there was no option to enable the thing.

Third thing, the first option you listed in your email of finding the profiles folder is something I don't know about, even though you gave me the "link" - sorta.

Pretend that I have a computer IQ of 20, and PLEASE! explain to me why the "import" didn't work, what I can do about the SSL thing and where to find the profiles folder and what to do with it once I find it!

Thanks SO much!
Katiebug

Collapse -
Interesting...
by John.Wilkinson / February 12, 2006 7:40 AM PST

That may not be a word you want to hear, but it is interesting. Happy It sounds like you have some corruption going on, so you'll need to remove Firefox and the Firefox profile, then reinstall. For instructions, click here for a previous thread. Just note that when I wrote "kjcrud39.default," that was the name of Grandpaw's folder...the characters are random so it will be different for you, but will still end in ".default".

Now, in your case I'm going to make one exception to those instructions...since you want to import your IE favorites, and presumably don't care about the old Firefox bookmarks created prior to you uninstalling it previously, don't backup or restore the bookmark files. Just uninstall Firefox, delete the profile, then install Firefox. During the installation process it will prompt you to import your IE favorites. If it doesn't work, write back and I'll give you the workaround for that issue. This should also solve your SSL (a protocol for sending data securely to prevent interception) problem.

Let me know how it goes.
John

P.S. You'll need to enable the viewing of hidden folders in order to access your profile. To do this, open Windows Explorer (simplest way is double-clicking My Computer), go tools->folder options, select the View tab, and mark "show hidden files and folders."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?