General discussion

Firefox experts hello

Hi, I need help with firefox "Thunderbird specifically". Everyone is telling me my emails come without pictures etc. Why? Also in the move to area (moving emails to folders I sent up) I now find my trash and sent etc folders, how do I send them back to where they belong? I use XP.

Thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Firefox experts hello
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Firefox experts hello
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just one question.
- Collapse -
Just so you know.

It's your choice to send or not send HTML email. But you do find that what you see on your machine is rarely represented on the receiver's email display. That's normal but can confuse many at first.
Bob

- Collapse -
Firefox experts hello

Why would I use HTML ? What else is available?
Thanks

- Collapse -
Re: Firefox

Firefox isn't a mail program. Thunderbird is. Totally different programs? For which of the 2 programs do you need help?

Mail can be in plain text or html-format. Plain text is just text. Html includes lay-out options (like fonts and lists). So you can use plain text if you just wanna a send text. Use html if you want more than just plain text.

Kees

- Collapse -
Firefox

I want to discuss Thunderbird, that's where my problem lies, I think! Anyway I reset to not use HTML and there is no difference at all.
Thanks.

- Collapse -
With reference to Firefox aside.

Please take more care in which app you want to discuss.

HTML email lets you do more than plain text. But let me warn you again that what you see in your email may not appear on the screen of those that receive email.

THIS IS NOT A BUG! It is how it works.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thunderbird etc

I changed my settings to NOT use HTML and the results are the same, no pictures etc. But thanks anyway!

- Collapse -
That's proper.

Plain text is just that. And while HTML email may show pictures on your machine this may not work on the receiver's email. What you often discover are the pictures in the attachments.

Nothing really new going on here. And it's no bug.
Bob

- Collapse -
For starters

For starters, Thunderbird is not Firefox. Firefox is a web browser, Thunderbird is an email client.

Second, this is a very common problem when people try and embed photos in emails as opposed to attach them. The file pointer in the email is on your specific system, so unless every recipient has that file in exactly the same spot, it doesn't work. This isn't a Thunderbird specific problem, plenty of people using other email clients have the same issue. Attach the photos, don't try and embed them.

For that matter, just forget all about any kind of special formatting in email, it doesn't work. Email was designed for plain text only. Any time you try and go beyond that you increase the odds of people not being able to receive your message properly. You want to share photos with someone, open an account on a photo sharing site like Flickr or Google's Picasa. Upload the photos there, provide a link in an email, let your email recipients go look at them at their leisure instead of forcing them to download large image files. Not to mention web servers tend to have significantly more processing power AND bandwidth, which makes them infinitely better suited than email servers when it comes to sharing large files like photos.

We all have to realize that we are part of a community on the Internet. The actions of a single person can have a negative effect on countless others. It would be irresponsible to be concerned purely with our own wants and desires. If everyone tries to act in their own self-interest, then everyone loses. It's sort of like the economy these days. Businesses don't want to start ramping up production because consumers aren't buying, consumers aren't buying because they need to try and conserve money. Money they might have if businesses started producing more and hiring people. Every company and person is acting in their own self-interest, and it's working against the common good we all desire. You sending a bunch of large photos in an email may mean that someone else's important email (and we'll ignore the fact that email shouldn't be trusted for important communications) may not go through or it gets stuck in a server somewhere, waiting on your message to clear before it can go on its way.

Anyway, this concludes today's Internet Civics 101 class.

- Collapse -
Can you explain more please?

You say that everyone is telling you your emails come without pictures.

Can you explain how you compose your emails? Whether in HTML format or Plain text makes no difference.

What I normally do;

Open a New email window,(or hit Reply, if I am replying to an email).

Type in my message.

If I have an image stored on my hard drive, I click the "Attach" menu option, (sometimes shown as just a paperclip), then browse to where my image is stored and select it.

If I want to send an image that is on a web page, I copy the web address of that image page, then paste that into the email window. I might have to highlight that link then go to Insert > Link, and paste the same link into the dialog window that appears, then click OK.

Click Send.

What method do you use?

Mark

- Collapse -

I am mostly forwarding mail, not changing anything.

- Collapse -

I have a small list I post to. Someone sends me mail and I forward it on to the list. Occasionally I'll copy the e-mail and paste it and send it on. That's about it!

- Collapse -
And just so you know.

Forwarding rarely works. Just look at all the pleas for help with that in Outlook Express. It appears you thought this would work when it rarely does.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thunderbird has a very handy ...

CNET Forums

Forum Info