HolidayBuyer's Guide

Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Firefox Crashing

by perverseone / October 14, 2009 2:07 PM PDT

I am using Firefox 3.5.3 on an older Dell desktop PC running Windows XP operating system with 2.5 meg RAM.

Of late, the Firefox keeps crashing. It stops operating and when I bring up task manager, I notice that it shows 100% utilization of CPU. I would suspect my installation, except I am getting the same problem on my much newer laptop also running XP with 2 meg RAM.

The one thing in common between the two computers, except the operating system is that I am using Norton Internet Security 2009 in both machines.

Is anybody else experiencing similar problems? Or is my problem related to something other than Firefox?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firefox Crashing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firefox Crashing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
about:config settings
by Porch-a-Geese / October 15, 2009 12:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Firefox Crashing

Look up memory management and about:config on goole.
There are about four very helpful howto's catered to Windows' users.

Collapse -
I experience the same problem
by viastain / October 22, 2009 5:34 PM PDT

I've experience the same problem with 3.5.3 version couple weeks ago
I can't find the solution, maybe it's one of addon or else but I'm not sure, so I just uninstall 3.5.3 and using the old version 3.0.13
So far it's not crashing anymore and I'm happy with it

Collapse -
Browsers Dying
by cbiern / October 25, 2009 1:30 PM PDT

I upgraded to Firefox 3.5.3 when it became available and was enjoying the new features. Then my google searches began to be hijacked to random sites usually with what appears to be a handwritten 2 in the title.
I did a bit of searching and found that this was not uncommon but no one had a fix for it. Multiple tries (2 or 3) would get me to the proper site. However, yesterday Firefox began crashing if I went to any site that was not already in the history. Others have said they can't start Firefox at all but I have my own home page on my computer so I can get FF open but that's about it. I downgraded to 3.0.14 but it still crashes. I then went to IE8 and it is also hijacked and also crashes even on sites like Amazon.
Thank goodness for Chrome it seem unaffected.
Anyone else have these problems? McAfee and Malwarebytes both say there's no problem.
I'm running Windows 7 32bit.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.