Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Firefox- can't get wanted pop-ups

by drpeg / March 18, 2005 10:19 AM PST

I have a *lot* of problems getting the links that should give a little pop-up to work. For example, on the Merrian Webster dictionary page (http://www.m-w.com/) if I click the speaker that should give me the pronunciation of a word, I won't get it. In the case of this dictionary, I'll get a brief flash of the pop-up, but nothing else. If I right-click the speaker and check it's properties, it says javascript: popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?test0001.wav=test'), in case that info is useful. But this happens all the time, with anything that should pop up. (If I hold down ctrl or sshift, I just get an empty page.) Even if I enter the particular website -- and what a hassle that would be to do in general -- it still doesn't work.

Similarly, I published a fiction story to the web using WordPerfect. The story contains footnotes. If I click on the footnote symbols in the story, nothing happens.

This all works fine in IE.

I have the Java Plugin from the Fiirefox Center page installed.

I have windows XP with SP 1.

Can anyone help?
Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firefox- can't get wanted pop-ups
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firefox- can't get wanted pop-ups
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by dagger906 / March 18, 2005 11:32 AM PST

Tools -> Options -> Web Features -> Block Popup Windows -> Allowed Sites -> and type in the site that you want to be able to load popup windows from.

Uninstall IE. It'll mess up your computer.

Collapse -
can't get wanted pop-ups
by drpeg / March 18, 2005 9:05 PM PST
In reply to: ...

As I mentioned, even putting the sites on the allowed list doesn't work for the handful of ones I tried that on -- and there'd be infinitely many sites to add even if it did work!

I haven't uninstalled IE. I suppose as last resort I might do that. Or, I just might continue to use IE when this situation arises.

Thanks for the reply

Collapse -
may have the solution
by drpeg / March 18, 2005 9:53 PM PST

I got the idea that maybe my Panicware Pop-up Blocker, so necessary for IE, was the source of the problem. Sure enough, when I exited it, the dictionary pronunciation, my footnotes in my story, and another link I had tried before without success now all work, so hopefully that's the solution. Unfortunately, I also got a pop-up that I did not want <crossing eyes>. If this gets too obnoxious maybe I'll try opening my pop-up blocker again and add some pop-up allow extension I came across. thanks.

Collapse -
IE?
by dagger906 / March 19, 2005 11:03 AM PST
In reply to: may have the solution

Why are you using IE? Does the popup still not work for firefox?

Collapse -
Not using IE
by drpeg / March 19, 2005 9:22 PM PST
In reply to: IE?

Not understanding your question. I'm not using IE. But for the links to work in Firefox, I had to disable the Panicware pop-up blocker. I used to use IE. Then I needed that pop-up blocker for sure. (Actually, I was still using IE when I wanted the links to work but couldn't get them to do so with Firefox --but now that I've disabled the Panicware pop-up blocker, the links are working, so presumably I won't need IE.)

Collapse -
No, it won't. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 19, 2005 11:11 AM PST

Millions of people, including myself have IE installed. IE will not mess up any computer. The driver of that computer making poor browsing decisions, not surfing intelligently, having no protection against parasites, and no AV program are the causes for IE problems. I run IE exclusivly and have never been infected or attacked.

Just to state to uninstall IE is not prudent. Safe and intelligent surfing is.

HTH,

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about internet
connections and data, and download free software.

If you can remain calm, you just don't have all the facts.

Collapse -
by dagger906 / March 19, 2005 10:28 PM PST
In reply to: No, it won't. . .

Safe and intelligent surfing? You've got to be kidding me...

You shouldn't tell people that it's their fault their computer is filled with malware.

Collapse -
I'm taking that as "Tongue in Cheek". . .
by Coryphaeus / March 20, 2005 6:12 AM PST

With every magazine, newspaper, and web article talking about viruses and malware, anyone who ignores the warnings deserves to get burned. This may sound callous, but it's a fact. The warnings are out there. The prevention is out there. Choosing to ignore the warnings, and avail oneself of prevention and cure, well, not much more can be said.

As I stated earlier, I run IE and OE exclusivly. I also employ the software at my site, monitor every cookie trying to set, scan everything I download, and watch where I'm going.

Wayne

Collapse -
Tongue in cheek or not...
by dagger906 / March 20, 2005 7:54 AM PST

It doesn't matter. IE loads malware, Firefos doesn't. It's that simple. It's not smart to take risks when you don't have to.

IE is full of holes. There is no way to be completely safe while using it, no matter how careful you are. Trust me, you'll get burned yourself one of these days... ^_____^

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.