General discussion

Firefox acting strange for any of you? 3.6.3

Firefox 3.6.3 has been doing some odd things on all of my PCs.
When I open any link in a new tab I always get "page will not load" screen, for example I search for anything on google open the first few results in new tabs and none of them load. I click refresh on the new tabs and presto it loads fine. It can't be a virus I'm having the same issues with my netbook/desktop/laptop. I don't think its an issue with my internet connection as I have no problems with XBL or netflicks loading. I tried running in safe mode to no avail. If firefox doesn't address this I think I might just switch to googlechrome.

Any of you having similar issues?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Firefox acting strange for any of you? 3.6.3
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Firefox acting strange for any of you? 3.6.3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Not noticed anything here.

My v 3.6.3 seems to be working properly.

Have any add-ons failed the upgrade from the previous version of FF?

Try a simple test. Start Firefox in it's Safe Mode and see if Google behaves properly then.

How to start Firefox in Safe Mode.

Mark

- Collapse -
Blah

I tried running in safe mode and the problem persists.
I got so frustrated with it I tried uninstalling on my desktop and cleaning everything firefox out of my registry, Then a fresh install.
Google chrome is working fine during all this. Firefox is still doing the "page not found" on every new tab opened.
I was hoping this wasn't isolated to just me and Mozilla would be working on it.
So for the time being I'm going to have to settle for chrome.
Although I really prefer firefox.
Sucks.

- Collapse -
I switched to.....

SeaMonkey. No problems whatsoever but I don't use add-ons. Now I'm looking to put a link on my personal bar to a search engine that is not connected to google.

- Collapse -
Have you tried creating a new Firefox profile?

You mentioned Safe Mode, but not which options you checked off while doing so. You also mentioned uninstalling Firefox, but not if you chose to delete your old profile as part of that process. Thus, I'd suggest creating a new Firefox profile and using it with a clean installation of Firefox to see if the issue remains.

Let us know.
John

- Collapse -
Thanks for the response John

I don't recall being able to choose any options when I opened safe-mode.
Just opened it from the Mozilla folder in my start menu.
And yes, I did delete my profile when I uninstalled. My current install is running without any add-ons, and a new profile. The reason this worries me is that I'm running firefox on three different systems.
A netbook, notebook and my desktop, and having the same issue on all three. opening any link from any page in a new tab gives me a "page not found". When I hit refresh the page loads. I've been posting on the Mozilla forums aswell and have found a handful of others with my problem.
I really hate Google Chrome, and using it as my default browser is killing me. But I don't see there being any solution on my end of this, maybe with Firefox's next update.

- Collapse -
Since it was working previously...

You may want to consider uninstalling Firefox 3.6.3 and download Firefox 3.6.2. If it is actually just the latest version, and not an external factor, that should enable you to continue using Firefox until the next update is released.

John

- Collapse -
thank you

I didn't even think of trying an older version. So far its working.
Thanks for the link. I'll let the others know on the Mozilla forums.

- Collapse -
Firefox 3.6.3

My son and I both have Windows Vista OS, after updating our computers to FIrefox Version 3.6.3 both of us started having hanging issues and only being able to boot up in safe modes. Normal window boot would not allow us to open any of our programs. Both of us had our AVG 8 removed from our desktops and when doing a search was told it was not there. Looking into the uninstall area was the only place we could find it. It has taken a week for us to get my sons laptop finally working after uninstalling Firefox 3.6.3. I have been unable to uninstall it from my system after repeated attempts in safe mode, normal program uninstall and using Firefox uninstall help.exe. I still have hanging issues and have found no help with getting it uninstalled. I have noticed I am not the only one with these issues.

- Collapse -
Re: acting strange

I don't have that problem but ever since Firefox updated my bookmarks are gone and won't let me restore them.

CNET Forums

Forum Info