Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Firefox 3....should I upgrade?

I am currently using Firefox 2. Is firefox 3 secure and stable enough to switch or should I wait longer?Thanks for any imput.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firefox 3....should I upgrade?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firefox 3....should I upgrade?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Short answer: maybe...

In reply to: Firefox 3....should I upgrade?

Long answer: Firefox 3 is not in beta any longer...it's both stable and secure. However, whether you should upgrade depends on the extensions you use...not all are, or ever will be, compatible. However, in the coming months Mozilla will stop supporting Firefox 2.x entirely, so regardless you should start preparing for the transition now. (Identifying extensions that must be updated/replaced.)

John

Collapse -
Maybe++

As John mentioned, the availability of specific add-ons can be a gating factor. It certainly was for me during beta. I did not start using FF3 regularly before RC1, and I had to get some alpha level FF3 plug-ins at that.

Since I have moved to FF3 I would not want to go back.

The improved rendering in the new Gecko plus the truly awesome awesome-bar improvements are features I do not want to live without. Typing keywords into the address bar to find previously browsed items is something I have more than grown used to. I just do it automatically now.

e.g. What was that article I was looking at on "Sarah Vaughan"? No problem, just type her name into the address bar and the items from history are shown immediately.

e.g. I need to zoom this site to read it easily. FF3 remembers my last zoom for the site and applies it automatically. Makes it so much easier while I am checking my RSS feeds via Google Reader.

Some people have complained that the suggestions are in-appropriate. It can happen, but, simple to fix. Just shift-delete the unwanted suggestions and they will no longer appear.

So....

Even with the potential for problems with specific extensions, the improvements noted, plus, the speed and memory utilization improvements make FF3 a no-brain update (for me anyway).

Collapse -
What about security

In reply to: Maybe++

As far as security goes, is it more secure than Firefox 2 or is it about the same? Thank you

Collapse -
(NT) More

In reply to: What about security

Collapse -
If you click on

help

Check for updates

It will tell you the new version 3.0.1 is available and not all add-ons are compatible. You can then click and it will tell you which ones. You can then decide to update or not now.

Tab mix plus was my hold back but, I found a version that's compatible.

Rick

Collapse -
FF3

In reply to: If you click on

I just recently did a clean install of XP Pro. In going through and setting every thing up the way I had it, I updated FF2 to FF3. I am betting a lot of, (FF has to close now). This seems to be be quite prevalent with on line newspapers. I also have IE6, (with no thought of IE7). I guess I am going to have to make IE 6 my default so that I can read on line publications. Has any one else run into this situation? Thanks, Bill
p.s. Win XP Pro-SP2, 1Gig ram, two HD's, (95 Gig total), Pentium 4-1.6.

Collapse -
Read them with

In reply to: FF3

IE Tab

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

This add-on for Mozilla Firefox allows you to use Mozilla Firefox instead o Internet Explorer. You can just make it temporarp or you can right click on the World, add, apply. Now everytime you go to that website, it will use the ie tab. You can even use this to get Windows Updates.

Also, if you use NoScript, some websites you need to allow that website to make it work.

Rick

Collapse -
FF3

In reply to: Read them with

Thanks to all, problem solved. Added the IE tab

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.