Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

firefox 3 bookmarks

by brlarson / December 21, 2008 8:45 AM PST

I just upgraded? to FF3 from he latest version of 2 and I am very disjointed. the new look is very bad and I had to down load an odd on to make it look like FF2. now the new methoid of sorting bookmarks is annoying me, why did they change it? I want to get rid of the stars and the unsorted bookmarks folder, how do I do that? how can I make the bookmarks hug the left of the side bar? the new version adds one more layer or indent which is wasting my viewing area. I upgraded to FF3 only because of the ram hogging of version 2, it was not bad but I wanted to make it work better but now it just peeks my cpu when it is loading new pages, why?

my system:
laptop with
xp sp3
2.4 ghz
512 ram

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: firefox 3 bookmarks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: firefox 3 bookmarks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Firefox 3 Bookmarks...
by John.Wilkinson / December 22, 2008 12:04 PM PST
In reply to: firefox 3 bookmarks

why did they change it?
-> To add new functionality via "Places."

I want to get rid of the stars and the unsorted bookmarks folder, how do I do that?
-> Sorry, but you cannot.

how can I make the bookmarks hug the left of the side bar?
-> Press Ctrl + B.

it just peeks my cpu when it is loading new pages, why?
-> That depends large on the pages you're loading, the content the contain, and the third-party plugins they use.

John

Collapse -
so I sould stick with 2.0.20
by brlarson / December 22, 2008 9:51 PM PST
In reply to: Firefox 3 Bookmarks...

so since the new features drive me nuts I should just stay with version 2? now Mozilla is pulling a Microsoft by making software that forces you do conform to there way of doing things.

I an using the same plug ins as my 2.0 copy so I was expecting that it would use less ram but the same CPU. it seems to me that they just swapped some ram for some CPU. this is worse for me as I have surpluses ram but limited CPU speed.

Collapse -
Not entirely a good idea...
by John.Wilkinson / December 23, 2008 12:11 AM PST

Mozilla stopped supporting 2.x on December 18th, so you'll be vulnerable to any new exploits found from now onward while 3.x users will receive the appropriate updates. New extensions are also going 3.x only, so you'll have limited options in the near future. It is up to you, but I would stick with 3.0 until 3.1 is released next month with numerous performance boosts.

John

Collapse -
I can wait
by brlarson / December 23, 2008 12:22 AM PST

Then I might wait until 3.1 comes out. Right now I have both running and do not like 3.0 very much.

Collapse -
Bookmarks is a problem for me also...
by glenn30 / December 23, 2008 1:16 AM PST
In reply to: firefox 3 bookmarks

I have not figured out how it all works and how to organize them. I still have imports from Internet Explorer for some years ago. Do you think that is not a mess????

I have just learned to live with it and based on memory know how to find them. Maybe some of this will be sorted in future versions. Otherwise I like Firefox 3 and have no other issues.

Glenn

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!