Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Firefox 2 vs, IE 7

by grimgraphix / October 25, 2006 9:15 PM PDT

I just downloaded IE 7 this week and have yet to try the new Firefox which has been my preferred browser in the past.

Here is an article comparing some features...

Anyone try both yet? I have a friend who also prefers Opera.

Opinions? Advice? Criticisms?

grim Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firefox 2 vs, IE 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firefox 2 vs, IE 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Firefox 2 is very nice!
by gearup / October 25, 2006 9:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Firefox 2 vs, IE 7

I like the tabs bar and the built in spell checker. Of course the security is nice too!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i use both like both
by Mark5019 / October 25, 2006 11:16 PM PDT
Collapse -
I'm quite pleased with IE 7. It's a good improvement.
by Kiddpeat / October 26, 2006 12:36 AM PDT

I've used others in the past, but dropped them.

Collapse -
by Evie / October 26, 2006 4:36 AM PDT

I used to use IE -- I think whatever came with 98SE was the last version I used. I also started out using Outlook Express and occasionally used Real Player. Then one day I noticed that you would collect IE cookies from reading emails in OE or using RP. There were ways around this, but, at least in RP, you kept having to reset these . I eventually switched to a non-IE based email client for POP and I don't even think I have any Real Networks stuff on my hard drive anymore. But I'm reluctant to even give IE a try for fear that some other programs will do what RP and OE used to with it. Is this still a problem?

I used to prefer NS. Now I use and prefer Firefox, although NS seems much the same, just used to what I have.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Netscape is now owned by aol
by gearup / October 26, 2006 6:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Question

and comes loaded with their nonsense. Firefox and Thunderbird or any other email program will serve you well for a long time to come!

Collapse -
I use an old Poco email client for any POP stuff
by Evie / October 27, 2006 3:45 AM PDT

Still love it and it is totally separate from any browser/operating system. My favorite feature is that students often submit work by email. I have them use a standardized system for naming their files. Poco automatically saves the attachments separately from the email in a folder that I specify. No need to open the email and download the attachment. Works well with AV programs too. I hope any changes in Windows will still allow me to run this "dinosaur" as the newest version is expensive and not upgradeable for free from the version I have. Because of this I like to keep my eyes and ears open should the need arise to get a different client.

Collapse -
Another Explorer flaw reported
by JP Bill / October 26, 2006 4:03 AM PDT
Another Explorer flaw reported

Just one week after claiming that users of Microsoft Corp'.s Internet Explorer 7 browser could be at risk to an online attack, Danish security vendor Secunia ApS is reporting a new bug in the browser.

The bug allows hackers to place a fake web address in one of the browser's pop-up Windows, and could be used to trick a victim into inadvertently downloading something from what appeared to be a trusted website. Secunia has described the flaw in an advisory, which can be found here.

Based on its initial investigation, Microsoft believes that there is "an issue," a spokesman with the company's public relations agency said in an email.

While the full URL (Uniform Resource Locator) of the web page being displayed is present in the pop-up Window's address bar, the left part of this URL is not initially displayed, the spokesman said.

That problem could allow an attacker to spoof a legitimate website, Secunia said.

Neither of the bugs is considered to be particularly critical
Collapse -
Firefox 2 on the other hand
by gearup / October 26, 2006 4:14 AM PDT

has built in anti phishing capabilities. Another reason why I have never used IE for anything. It was a patch work imitation of Netscape to begin with and has never really improved. If it wasn't bundled with Windows I doubt that many people would use it by choice!

Collapse -
If it wasn't bundled with Windows,
by Kiddpeat / October 27, 2006 1:40 AM PDT

every other browser would be purchase only. Say thank you Microsoft.

Collapse -
They werent ''purchase only'' before IE
by gearup / October 27, 2006 1:50 AM PDT

at least the most popular one Netscape was free. However
I will not get into a fight with you over this as obviously thats what you are looking for.
So, have a nice day, if you can!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That's not the way I remember it.
by Kiddpeat / October 27, 2006 1:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
that's the way it WAS
by bpee501742 / October 27, 2006 2:42 AM PDT

i was an early adopter of netscape but not long after aol took over it began to suck

you don't want me to try to print here what i think of ms and their prior and ongoing tactics

Collapse -
Haven't tried either of them...
by Terry Browne / October 27, 2006 2:14 AM PDT

and don't feel the need either since I have Opera since many years now. ''IE7 has a neat feature that lets you see thumbnails of all of the tabs you have open at any one time, letting you leap to the one you need with a click.'' They have clearly copied Opera because they have the same feature since 6 months back. The difference is that Opera usually doesn't have any security issues which IE often have and lately I've seen some in FF too. Another feature that has yet to appear in both IE and FF are the shortcut bars. I have one at the bottom of the browser (right on top of the taskbar), very thin and not disturbing at all where I can reach my most visited websites easily without having to go to my bookmarks.
This is what it looks like. You can fill that bar with shortcuts. Very neat IMO.

Collapse -
Shortcut bar simular to Safari's ...
by grimgraphix / October 27, 2006 2:31 AM PDT

bookmarks bar or for that matter FireFox's as well (at least from what I can tell).

Since I use my mac for 99% of web related activities and my PC for grunt work I don't keep up with the web related software for the win-boxes. Consequently I use apple's Safari browser the most and then Firefox for some video capture features it has.

I need to download opera for mac... I have a prof who keeps posting .mht files on her online class site. Regular mac programs will not open them but I understand opera for mac will. (or I could just reinstall the wireless card into my PC tower but where is the fun in that ;)).

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?