Computer Help forum

General discussion

FireFox 2.0 (Mozilla 5.0) / Win2K - "RSINST~1.EXE" error?

Whenever I open up FireFox for the first time, or click on a picture that then tries to open in a separate window, these errors pop up:

A black DOS box pops up with a flashing cursor in it. The blue header bar on the top reads:
"C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\APPLIC~1\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\LRAI2E~1.DEF\EXTENS~1\{A50B1~1\RSINST~1.EXE"

Then an error message pops up and reads:

"16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem" (...In the top blue bar)

C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\APPLIC~1\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\LRAI2E~1.DEF\EXTENS~1\{A50B1~1\RSINST~1.EXE
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:0dd3 IP:046e OP:63 74 6f 72 2e Chose 'Close' to terminate the application.

And of course it has two buttons, 'Close' and 'Ignore'.

It sometimes also then gives me some kind of print error dialog box.

FireFox Version: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.16) Gecko/20080702 Firefox/2.0.0.16

Microsoft Windows 2000 5.00.2195 Service Pack 4.

Here's a screenshot of the error message: http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/AiXeLsyD13/WERIDERROR.jpg

Is this a virus? Trojan? Worm? Program error? None of my google searches for RSINST~1.EXE are turning up solid info. Should I be looking for something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: FireFox 2.0 (Mozilla 5.0) / Win2K - "RSINST~1.EXE" error?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: FireFox 2.0 (Mozilla 5.0) / Win2K - "RSINST~1.EXE" error?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Doesn't sound good

It doesn't sound good, since 16-bit subsystem errors are pretty classic signs of a malware infestation. Of course it could also just be that you have a bad extension installed.

First I would go in and disable ALL of your extensions in Firefox, then restart and see if the message disappears. If yes, then keep enabling them one by one until the error message comes back. You have to restart Firefox each time you enable a new extension. Once you find out which extension is causing the problem, you can hit Google to see if others are having similar problems and if they've solved them.

If the problem persists even with all extensions disabled, then grab some malware removers.

Also, since you're running Windows 2000, do you have some third party firewall? ZoneAlarm or a router perhaps? If not, it's not such a good idea to have that system connected to the Internet. You might also want to consider upgrading to Firefox 3.0.1. Not so many new features, but a lot of under the hood type improvements. Lower memory usage, faster page loading, more accurate page rendering.

Collapse -
Any good freeware malware removers out there?

In reply to: Doesn't sound good

Any good freeware malware removers out there? I have AVG & Ad-Aware, but they don't seem to be picking this thing up. I ran the scan at trendmicro.com, too.

I might explore some of these options: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid=20080721163655AA07dVV

At any rate, installing Firefox 3.0 got rid of the initial problem.

I don't have a firewall up. I run my AVG & Ad-Aware daily though. Is ZoneAlarm freeware?

Thanks for the help!

Collapse -
"I don't have a firewall up" ???

In reply to: Any good freeware malware removers out there?

Are you sure this is true? I cannot imagine going online without a firewall. If you do not have a hardware firewall, then I would install a software firewall such as ZoneAlarm or some other.

Glenn

Collapse -
You should

In reply to: Any good freeware malware removers out there?

You should have some sort of a firewall running at all times. Windows 2000 isn't being supported any longer, so security holes aren't being fixed.

Since Windows 2000 doesn't have its own firewall, grab the free version of ZoneAlarm or one of the others and make sure it's always running.

Collapse -
Firefox 2

In reply to: FireFox 2.0 (Mozilla 5.0) / Win2K - "RSINST~1.EXE" error?

Since you're using FF2, there's no guarantee that the version you're using is safe.

However, I would suggest downloading Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware.

Can you install Firefox 3 and tell us if you still get this message?

Thanks,

Mad.

Collapse -
Firefox 2

In reply to: Firefox 2

Firefox 2 is still being maintained as far as fixing security issues goes. It should remain active in that regard until around December.

Collapse -
RE: Firefox 2

In regards to that then, I have no idea what the problem could be.

Collapse -
Firefox 3.0 Installed.

Collapse -
Install some Anti-Malware software.

In reply to: Firefox 3.0 Installed.

Like I said earlier, you might have some spyware/ ad-ware.

Collapse -
Tried Using These Tools

In reply to: Firefox 3.0 Installed.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.