Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Firefox 2.0 and ZA Free Version "Trusted Zone"

by ACSponge / November 20, 2006 7:34 AM PST

Microsoft XP Pro Version 2002 Service Pack 2
Firefox 2.0
ZoneAlarm version:6.5.737.000 (it's the free one)
Windows Firewall is OFF

I just downloaded and installed Firefox 2.0. While a loyal Firefox user I have been reluctant to upgrade.

Now, when I start Firefox, Zone Alarm forces me to click "Allow" when Firefox is trying to access the trusted zone.

Is this a big deal? Is this a security breach in my system? Is there anyway to prevent Firefox 2.0 from needing to access the trusted zone?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firefox 2.0 and ZA Free Version "Trusted Zone"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firefox 2.0 and ZA Free Version "Trusted Zone"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) mine never asks
by Mark5019 / November 20, 2006 8:31 AM PST
Collapse -
reply to: Firefox 2.0 and ZA Free
by caktus / November 20, 2006 3:21 PM PST

Not a problem if you are accessing a site that is listed in you Trusted Zone e.g. Tools > Internet options > Security > Trusted zone > Sites.

Also, does ZA offer you an opportunity te select "Remember my choice" or something to that effect?

Also, you might go to ZA > Program control > beside Fire Fox select all green check marks.

Even if none of this helps, as long as you are deliberately accessing the site in your Trusted zone it's not a security problem.

Hope this helps. If not post in the Viruses & security alerts forum or the Zone Labs User Forum

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
ZA Permissions
by mart44 / November 20, 2006 6:47 PM PST

I think it normal to allow Firefox trusted access in ZoneAlarm. I don't use ZA these days but recall that it always had three green ticks:

Under 'Access' Trusted and Internet.
Under 'Server' Trusted.

Server rights for 'Internet' were denied, although many say full permission should be granted since Firefox is a trusted application.

Server rights should at least be given to 'Trusted' or the loopback will be affected. See in this page: Firefox and Mozilla Suite use a loopback connection which is required for SSL. Check your firewall settings to make sure you have not blocked incoming connections to Firefox or Mozilla Suite.

Collapse -
Thanks for the help guys
by ACSponge / November 21, 2006 12:34 AM PST
In reply to: ZA Permissions

For some reason Zone Alarm stopped prompting me to allow Firefox 2.0 to access the trusted zone once I ran ccleaner.

Aside from that, I had never seen the feature in ZA that shows which programs have access to the internet. It was very interesting to see some of the garbage I had once allowed on my machine.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?