General discussion

Firefox 1.5 - cannot go to website or email.s

by foxrl / April 7, 2006 5:20 PM PDT

Just 3 days ago I cannot get into Mozilla-Firefox 1.5 at
all . It just responded Firefox is offline . However if
I can use Internet Explorer 6 it's ok and I can get
into Yahoo mails , gmails,..etc.
I also tried to clean my registry and old files/folders
using CClean and Norton Cleanup and Window Clean..
still no improvement.
I tried uninstall and re-install Mozilla Firefox 1.5
and still same problem exist.
Can any one suggest on how I can get use Mozilla FireFox.

I am on Window XP Pro with ZoneAlarm FireWall (basic )
and using Norton Systemworks , AVG , Ewido Anti Malware,
Spybot Search and Destroy.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firefox 1.5 - cannot go to website or email.s
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firefox 1.5 - cannot go to website or email.s
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Andy, here's what I would do...
by glenn30 / April 8, 2006 12:57 AM PDT

I am not sure of the problem but I would start all over with a clean install of Firefox. I know you have done this but try my method.

First download the latest fresh v.1.5.0.1 of Firefox from Mozilla Firefox and save to disk. Then uninstall 1.5 that you now have. Then clean out all references to Firefox in the program files and in the registry... be careful in the registry if you are not comfortable there.

Next install the fresh download of the latest version of Firefox. I hope this works for you... it has for me under similar circumstances.

Best of luck,

Glenn

Collapse -
Have you checked...
by John.Wilkinson / April 8, 2006 2:28 AM PDT

Click File and make sure that "Work Offline" is not checked...if it is, click it to uncheck it and try again.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Firefox 1.5
by foxrl / April 10, 2006 10:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Have you checked...

Hi John,
Tks . I will try when I go back to office on
Friday . I am on leave.
andy

Collapse -
What's in your HOSTS file?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2006 2:55 AM PDT

Please share.

Collapse -
HOSTS Files
by foxrl / April 10, 2006 10:44 AM PDT

Hi R Proffitt, What do you mean by HOSTS file ?.
Do you mean my email id which is andygoh8@gmail.com
or what do ou mean ? Can you specify example.
tks,
andy

Collapse -
HOSTS file...
by John.Wilkinson / April 10, 2006 12:41 PM PDT
In reply to: HOSTS Files

You can read up on the HOSTS file by clicking here, but in short it can be used to block access to websites, such as those known for advertising. In Windows XP you'll find it in the directory C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc...open it with WordPad, NotePad, etc. You'd want to make sure the website you're going to is not listed...if so, delete the line.

However, I'd say this isn't your problem because the problem is specific to Firefox...if it were the HOSTS file, IE would have the same problem. Also, when an entry is in the HOSTS file, you'll receive the "Unable to Connect" error from Firefox, not one about being offline. Thus I'd say your problem lies elsewhere, likely in the "work offline" setting I noted above.

Hope this helps,
John

P.S. It's not wise to post your e-mail address in forums...spammers and spambots (automated programs that collect e-mail addresses) scour them for 'friends.' if you would like your e-mail address removed or post pulled to prevent a deluge of spam, just ask.

Collapse -
FireFox 1.5 - cannot open.
by foxrl / April 14, 2006 11:04 AM PDT

Hi John,
Tks. you are right . Somehow I do not know how
the option for 'work offsite' was checked in the file
option. OK , tks again.
andy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.