HolidayBuyer's Guide

Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Firefox 1.0

by Larry38 / November 8, 2004 7:25 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Firefox 1.0
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Firefox 1.0
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Firefox 1.0
by Wellander / November 8, 2004 7:55 AM PST
In reply to: Firefox 1.0

Hi,
Very nice.
I like the Mozilla App suite better.

Collapse -
by glenn30 / November 8, 2004 8:00 AM PST

Thanks Larry! I will be waiting in line to get it. Been wondering when the "Preview Release" version would be released out of beta as 1.0. Curious to see if there will be any significant changes to PR.

Happy

Glenn

Collapse -
by Larry38 / November 8, 2004 8:07 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Firefox 1.0

I don't think I'll try to download it tomorrow. May wait a day or two till the big rush is over.
Larry

Collapse -
by Wellander / November 8, 2004 11:36 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Firefox 1.0
Collapse -
Re: Firefox 1.0 From Yahoo
by Larry38 / November 9, 2004 12:32 AM PST
Collapse -
by Wellander / November 9, 2004 1:08 AM PST

Hi,
Nice article.
However I do not know what your point is?

Collapse -
Point.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2004 1:23 AM PST

I give Larry(38) 100 points. Now if he can only collect.

Bob

Collapse -
by Larry38 / November 9, 2004 1:56 AM PST

Hi Wellander,
Just a little additional information for anyone that may be interested.
Hope this answers your question.
Larry

Collapse -
by Wellander / November 9, 2004 2:57 AM PST

Hi,
Thank you very much.
Sorry for the sort of rudness.

Collapse -
by Larry38 / November 9, 2004 4:41 AM PST

No Problem.
I am now useing Firefox 1.0 FINAL. I got a download from Mozilla and it must have been a bad download as it would not install, so went to Major Geeks and it downloaded and installed with no problem I was useing 0.9.3 Downloaded the 1.0 installer, then deleted 0.9.3 and installed 1.0
seems to be fine so far.
Larry

Collapse -
Well, call me a die hard. . .
by Coryphaeus / November 9, 2004 10:53 AM PST

I've tried all versions of Mozilla and Firefox. And in the past, Netscape from 4.X on up to the latest. There's just something I don't like about them. Can't put my finger on it, they just don't feel right. Two complaints are that none of them will accept the Google Toolbar and IESpell. Also, you need to run IE for MS updates.

I'll stick with IE for a while, probably forever.

Collapse -
You can put a spell checker in Firefox .
by trytohelp / November 9, 2004 1:30 PM PST

It's called Spellbound. It also has a built in search bar if you want it on the toolbars.

Collapse -
Re: You can put a spell checker in Firefox .
by JoshHendo / November 9, 2004 3:22 PM PST

Have updated Firefox. It is 10 times better than IE. My spyware software has picked upi a security hole in IE, so I only use it when I really have to.

Collapse -
Interesting. . .
by Coryphaeus / November 10, 2004 5:30 AM PST

I may have to look into that one.

Collapse -
trytohelp, I need your help :)
by glenn30 / November 10, 2004 11:24 PM PST

I went to the Spellbound link and downloaded following all the instructions and received the final notice that install was complete.

Now I cannot find it on my computer nor a way to engage the spell checker for this post. Can you help with its location and what is done to do a spell check.

Thanks!

Glenn

Collapse -
My opinion of Spellbound.....
by John Robie / November 11, 2004 5:05 AM PST

I installed Spellbound with my older version of Firefox vs .10, have the abc icon in my toolbar, and Spellbound also transferred all ok to the new 1.0 firefox that I overinstalled on .10.

Well, have never been satisfied with the library of Spellbound. GADS! Almost every word that I suspect is mispelled, so does Spellbound indicate it as a mispelled word, but instead of giving the correct spelling, it just repeats and indicates you need to look it up in a dictionary.

So, when that happens (almost all the time), I just right click, click copy, go to my email that has a spell checker, paste to a new create new mail, click on speller, get it spelled correctly (never fails there), then copy/paste back.

Or, I can copy/paste and go to my Internet Explorer where I have ieSpell installed and get a correct spelling, then return to Firefox.

Now, why can't Spellbound SPELL as good as the email speller, or the IE ieSpell.

Firefox needs a good speller, or Spellbound need to get their ____together.

JR

Collapse -
Thanks John! Think I will leave it lost...
by glenn30 / November 11, 2004 9:00 AM PST

Upon install it simply vanished leaving no icon or listing in program. One of life's little mysteries. Maybe it is just as well it is lost. Grin

Glenn

Collapse -
Glenn if you still want to try it there are 3 separate parts
by trytohelp / November 11, 2004 1:00 PM PST

You have to install. I think that page give you all three but just in case they are
Spellbound-0.6.0.xpi
spellbound-lib-win32.xpi
spell-en-US.xpi which is the actual dictionary I think
Then when you get to a box like the one I'm typing in right now you just right click and pick spell check.
I've noticed what the other poster says though and that it does not give you very good alternatives for incorrectly spelt words.

Collapse -
trytohelp, thanks!
by glenn30 / November 11, 2004 11:47 PM PST

Install my be a bit above my head. In view of other comments I have gone to Tools->Extensions and uninstalled it. I hope that is the procedure.

Thanks again,

Glenn

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.