Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Fios gateway as ethernet switch via nighthawk R8000p?

So I have a gigabit connection coming in from verizon. It currently comes in via ethernet from an ONT in the basement straight up to our tri-band ac4000 nighthawk x6s r8000p.

I need more ethernet net ports, probably another 4 to be safe.

But here is the twist......

I have one of the ethernet cables going from my nighthawk to my Fios gateway(with both wifi bands off) and the Fios gateway is currently in bridge mode. I had to do this so we can get on demand and dvr. And the fios gateway has 4 ethernet ports that have Internet connection, via ethernet from the nighthawk.

So my real question is can I just use my Fios gateway as a "switch"? And will I achieve everything speed wise as I would with a decent switch? Oh and will I run into any double nat issues? (Fio gateway is in bridge mode)

I am kind of new to some of the slightly advanced router settings so please bare with me lol.

Thanks in advance,
Shane

SHANECOOK1989 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fios gateway as ethernet switch via nighthawk R8000p?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fios gateway as ethernet switch via nighthawk R8000p?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Nighthawk

In reply to: Fios gateway as ethernet switch via nighthawk R8000p?

Also am I right to have the ethernet from the ont straight to the nighthawk or should I put the switch first (non verizon gateway) ?

I thought the nighthawk first because it has the 1.8 dual core processor that can manage flow better than a switch and since most all of the downloads are coming over wifi it would make more sense. I do have a home media server that uploads 4k videos directly to my home network and remotely. So again the nighthawk should be able to process that faster?

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by SHANECOOK1989

Collapse -
The FIOS gateway as a switch.

In reply to: Fios gateway as ethernet switch via nighthawk R8000p?

I have to write no as it's currently working as a modem. To get more ports you add a switch. I've never had to change settings of the network when adding a switch.

Collapse -
Thank you

In reply to: The FIOS gateway as a switch.

I am just trying to understand. It's still a modem but I do not need it for the internet. The way I understood it was that the modem is connected outside and the verizon gateway was just the router. I can unplug the ethernet coming from the ont box in the basement directly into my computer and get internet access without using the verizon fios gateway router that has 1 wan and 4 lan ports. I was hoping that would save me from buying a switch lol

Would you put the switch in front or behind the nighthawk router?

And is there switch you recommend with 4-6 ethernet ports that is a good price?

Collapse -
Sorry no.

In reply to: Thank you

I leave shopping to CNET and the web. I usually just hit Amazon for best sellers and I'm done since I get the best sellers and find what I want in the top 10.

As to in front or behind I can't tell you. Why? But where is the front and where is the behind. Let me sketch it like this.

Internet -> Modem -> (WAN port) Router then

(LAN ports, WiFi) Router to devices (PCs, phones, switches.)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.