HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

finding out if someone else is on my Network.....

by lightsout / January 27, 2008 11:26 AM PST

Over the past while I have noticed that my highspeed connection is slow at times. I am connected to a wireless router which is connected to my DSL modem. I have two PC's connected to the router by Cat 5 Ethernet cable and a wireless Laptop which connects wireless. I am wondering since my house is pretty closely build to the other houses beside me, is it possible that someone else could be on my network, connecting to the Internet through my router?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: finding out if someone else is on my Network.....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: finding out if someone else is on my Network.....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
possable.....
by mementh / January 27, 2008 1:29 PM PST

i would go into your router setup and make sure that you have the wireless connections set so that WPA encryption is turned on.

I would use a key from grc.com/passwords which is a pretty well random key you will get (hint: the more random the less likely someone could *EVER* get on your network)

If you don't have WPA and only have WEP turn that on (though this was designed to be secure a person can crack it in less then a minute because of faults)
(WPA has no faults that have been found so it would take YEARS to crack into it)

Collapse -
impossible.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2008 8:32 PM PST

Let's say your WIFI is not encrypted or is using WEP. Then the person who is using your network could be using MACSPOOF or another software so it looks like one of your machines is using the connection.

This is why it's nearly impossible for most owners to figure this out. But there is hope in our forum sticky.

By moving to WPA, SSID broadcast enabled you will lock them out.

Bob

Collapse -
yea
by cmnt / February 26, 2008 10:26 AM PST

My linksy WRT54G Router is configured by a 3rd party firmware,TOMATO which you can see a list of Wireless device name connected to ur router,therefore u can see those unknown devices connected.

Collapse -
I demo'd this a few days ago.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2008 11:02 AM PST
In reply to: yea

They were running OpenWRT and maintained they could tell. With the MAC spoofed and the name as well they couldn't tell if it was their machine or mine.

Time to not offer WEP?

Collapse -
I think...
by Papa Echo / February 26, 2008 6:28 PM PST

...the outer maintain a log with IP addresses it connect to...

Collapse -
reply...
by tikiki2 / August 16, 2011 7:06 AM PDT

i have that problem 2... my telephone quality was terrible and the phone company said that someone else might b using my network... is this possible?

Collapse -
It is possible
by frworkbd / August 23, 2011 11:51 PM PDT

Make sure that your router driver are correctly installed or not and check your cable port. If don't work properly you can reinstall the driver.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.