General discussion

Finding drivers for PC

I now realized that searching for drivers for most generic pc is getting increasingly more difficult to find. Each search seem to smartly direct you to some agent or affiliate that wants you to buy a particular software. Guys if you think this is the way to cut back on the "driver" headache would you recommend some software that have been tried and found to work well.And can you tell if such software can be used on more than one pc.
Presently this motherboard is driving me bananas::MSI 865PE Neo2(MS6728 V1) The VGA Controller,Multimedia controller,Ethernet controller etc is all wearing a big QUESTION sign. I am running XP-PRO, 1GHZ, 3GMB and 80 ghd.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Finding drivers for PC
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Finding drivers for PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That motherboard.

Usually comes with a CD. Why not use that?

Or why not the MSI web site?

- Collapse -
MB Motherboard

CD would be the easy way to go but the PC was a gift to me.No CD. I did try the MSI website but finding the various controller drivers seem to send me on many trails and each driver i download is rejected by the pc.

- Collapse -
Did you put together an Install Plan?

Many don't and end up with your story. Here's a generic plan.

1. Install the XP OS.
2. Install the motherboard chipset driver package. (this is the one I find most forget.)
3. Install MSUSAA (google that!) This is another one that wipes out most home installers. They didn't know about it.
4. Now we can install the audio driver.
5. The video driver. This order to this point is frightfully important. I decline to write at length why.

6. Now the other drivers like the onboard lan driver.

If the lan drivers fail I install a PCI ethernet card.

Hope this helps.
Bob

- Collapse -
COOL

I will follow your instruction to the letter.
Thnks

- Collapse -
QUESTION

I googled "MSUSAA" and i am getting some strange feed back that has nothing to do with pc. Could there be an error

- Collapse -
My typo. Try MSUAA

The MSUAA is an item that is involved for XP and the new HD AUDIO feature.

The chipset driver is needed so the LAN and such chips can be seem later.
Bob

- Collapse -
And another typo.

Seem should "seen."

Without the motherboard chipset driver package, other drivers may not see the chips they are to drive. The LAN chips are on the other side of a motherboard chipset away from the CPU so we need to install drivers in a very specific order.

Picture at Figure 1-3 at http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Computer-Systems/Fundamentals/7/ shows the CPU at the top and the motherboard "chipset" that needs a driver in order to reach the peripherals.
Bob

- Collapse -
MSUSAA

Bob.

Not meaning to intrude here, but I haven't seen MSUSAA mentioned before.

When I Google that I find some strange results and nothing that I can see is relevant to an install or to drivers. My Google searches defaults to the UK listings but I doubt that would hide anything.

Is there anything specific you can supply a link to?

Thanks

Mark

- Collapse -
No, sorry.

It was a typo. I had to correct my typo later.

- Collapse -
Ahh got it!

My apologies, I should have waited!

Microsoft UAA Bus driver for High Definition Audio Driver.

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info