General discussion

Finding drivers and ports

hello I recently formatted my sis puter and installed WinME. Everything went smooth but it did not find the PCI card and did not find all the ports IE printer& com. I cannot add modem which was there before but now cannot find. I have tried everything I know any suggestions? this is a gateway 500

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Finding drivers and ports
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Finding drivers and ports
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re:Finding drivers and ports

If your machine is "stock" from Gateway, look to gateway.com to fetch drivers.

Remember that Microsoft doesn't supply drivers so you have to do the work.

Bob

- Collapse -
Re:Re:Finding drivers and ports

I did that but what driver should I look for that would be for the ports or Pci card?

- Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Finding drivers and ports

"I did that but what driver should I look for that would be for the ports or Pci card?"

Actually, I would be looking for drivers in this order and install in that order...

1. Motherboard drivers.
2. USB drivers (not all boards have such. http://www.usbman.com has deep information on USB.)
3. Video/audio, then printer drivers.
Optionally at this point updates to DirectX, IE and other items.
4. Modem drivers.

The "port" you write about is in itself much too vague to discuss. Whereas the PCI Card usually is just a modem that its driver hasn't been installed.

Bob

- Collapse -
Just some questions.

1. There should be a driver for the modem, and it should be on gateway site. Parallel and serial port are driverless, indeed. PCI card: what kind of PCI card? It plugs in a PCI-slot, no doubt, but what is it supposed to do? That's where the driver comes in.

2. What does the BIOS say about the serial and parallel ports?

3. Boot into DOS, connect a printer to the parallel port, and copy a printable file to lpt: or lpt1:. What happens? Printing, error message?

4. What do you plan to use the serial port for? Serial mouse maybe? Does it work in safe mode?

5. New hardware wizard in Config Panel doesn't find anything, I suppose?

6. Why did you reformat? Did it have anything to do with failing ports, PCI-cards or modems?

7. Does Gateway provide a recovery CD (to the original state of the machine)? If so, are the missing devices to be found after installing that?

Kees

CNET Forums