TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Finding a sub-$300 SDTV/EDTV

I've been looking into getting a new TV for a few years now, but was a little hesitent due to the high cost. However after my TV died last night at the age of 13 (perfect picture till the end), I would like to find a cheaper TV that can receive the new digital standard. I am looking for a 20" - 27" traditional tube-style television (no LCD, Plasma, etc) that has a built-in digital receiver, and can be had for under $300. I spend most of my days (and nights) working on computers, so I only watch TV for about 2 hours a day, and am generally doing other things during that time as well. Thus, I don't require a large or high-quality TV...just one large enough for my study that can pick up a digital signal without any modifications/additions for the next 5+ years.

I've searched all the major electronics store websites, but most come back with matches for HDTV instead of SDTV or EDTV, suggesting that I misspelled it. The few that recognised the search term suggested a 40''+ plasma. I've noticed that these models are not as easy to find/distinguish as the HDTVs...very few are labeled for what they are. Thus, I'd like to know if anyone can recommend a specific model and/or store where I could get one.

CNET found the RCA 27F524T (built-in ATSC tuner, 480i, 27" 4:3 tube) for less than $300, stating it is the best bargain digital TV available, but didn't state where to get it, and searches for it turned up nothing.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
John

P.S. Talking to someone locally is the same as smashing your head into a brick wall...I recently moved to Sticksville to help bring them up to speed (their internet went down in February, came back up last month)...they have never heard of HDTV, and grabbed a dictionary. (That would be the owner of the largest electronics store within 80 miles.)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Finding a sub-$300 SDTV/EDTV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Finding a sub-$300 SDTV/EDTV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!