TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Finding a great 1920x1080 at a cheap price...

by Alex Ciba / September 8, 2006 1:50 AM PDT

I am on the lookout for my next TV. Of coarse it has to be HD, but I want to get the best all around HD so I'm going to need 1080p. I have been looking at the Sony KDS-R50XBR1 which seems to be a fantastic TV, however it is pretty expensive. Does anyone have any alternitives? Can you go as low as say 42" and still get 1080p? When does the market usually drop prices for TVs like these? Please someone help me, I need to see my Xbox 360 in all it's glory! (And soon enough, my PS3...)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Finding a great 1920x1080 at a cheap price...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Finding a great 1920x1080 at a cheap price...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Finding a great 1920x1080 at a cheap price...
by jcrobso / September 8, 2006 2:03 AM PDT

You can find 720p a good price. But 1080p well it will just cost $800~1000 at this time. John

Collapse -
Try a DLP, or LCD direct view
by breslin / September 8, 2006 1:17 PM PDT

Alex,

I just went through the same decision process. I came down to the 50'' Sony SXRD and the 50'' Samsung 1080P DLP HLS5087M. The prices were comparable, I chose the Samsung becuase i liked the picture and I have had good luck with Samsung DLPs in the past.

The only other 1080P sets I found that were 50'' or smaller were direct view LCD sets at 46'' and 40''. from Sony, Samsung, Toshiba (45'') and Westinghouse. The 40'' sets were to small for my purposes and the 46'' sets were much more expensive that the Sony SXRD or the Samsung DLP.

Collapse -
MR BRESLIN MORE ON D.L.P.
by stewart norrie / September 9, 2006 5:25 AM PDT

When I replaced my last Sony 65" three tube monster ( loved the picture but was not very brite) I wanted another Sony to replace it. I looked at all the sony t.v.s including the xbr, but noticed that there was a lack of detial on all of them very soft picture. so I chose a d.l.p. 72" set the difference is d.l.p. is razor sharp especially on a larger screen size. do you agree? stewee

Collapse -
The new DLPs are very good
by breslin / September 9, 2006 2:26 PM PDT

I' Have only seen the Sony SXRD in stores and most TVs look pretty poor in the stores, so I don't know how good they look when properly set up. When I have seen the SXRD and 1080P DLP side by side the DLP looked better to me.

I have not looked at a 72" DLP, I have a 50" and a 61" and they both have great pictures with realistic colors and fine detail without any artificial sharpness.

Collapse -
MR BRESLIN WILL OUR D.L.P. SETS DELIVER A 1080P picture?
by stewart norrie / September 10, 2006 3:59 AM PDT

Your Samsung and my Toshiba are basically the same t.v. they both use the T/I chip. I have contacted T/I and Toshiba and was told that my set would do 1080P fine . But I have heard something about wobbleation Whatever that is? and so I would not get a true 1080P picture. I have seen the new Blue Ray player hooked up to a Samsung l.c.d. t.v. and to me picture quality was stunning. In closing the only problem owning a 72" d.l.p. set is if there is any flaw in the vidio transmission it really shows up. So if this Sony blue ray player will give me a sweet 1080P picture I will be in heaven Iam almost there now ha ha Also years and years I bought a Advent projector used I dont remember the model # but it looked like a large coffee table with the 3 tubes and speakers in the front and ten million controls in the rear, The screen was bowl shapped and the sound would bounce off the screen and would give a cool reverb effect. Anyway I sold it because I could not find anyone that would calibrate it I bet its a collector item now stewee

Collapse -
Gimme the lowdown
by Pakman3000 / September 10, 2006 5:34 AM PDT

I always here about this 72" gift from God. What model Toshiba it?

Collapse -
MR PACKMAN FOR YOUR EYES ONLY
by stewart norrie / September 10, 2006 5:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Gimme the lowdown

I blow so much about my Toshiba that everyone here at c.net gets mad at me Ok Toshiba 72HM195. I spent over a year looking for a 70+ t.v. and there was not much out there in the market Sony made a 70" monster but the picture was very dim and Sony dropped it then there is the Mitshibi but I dont care for that brand and picture quality was only fair I then saw my t.v. at a small retialer and was blown away and I still am super bright razor sharp well I have owned this set for 9 months, at 6 months the lamp blew called Toshiba and was told that factory lamps were all recalled I was sent a new replacement lamp with an extra year warrenty. I noticed the lamp to have a blue tint to it and now the picture has a perfect balance to it and picture is very bright I run lamp at low power with contrast and brightness below half way in closing I like the larger screen because you get the movie theater experience that a fronbt project system with out all the hassle good luck stewee

Collapse -
Thanks
by Pakman3000 / September 10, 2006 1:04 PM PDT

It looks like a sweet set. It's just that I hear so much about this set and when I look up DLP, I see your picture with a caption reads "Ask Stewie!" LOL. BTW, you guy/gals on here should update your profiles from time to time. Show off what you got or will have.

Collapse -
Maybe and answer, Stewie
by Dan Filice / September 10, 2006 8:52 AM PDT

Your TV will allow 1080p input via HDMI, but it won't display true, native 1080p. Your TV will convert a 1080p signal to 1080i. Your TV needs to convert the p signal to i because your TV is not native 1080p. Will you see any difference? Maybe if you have very discerning eyes. for most of us, seeing a 1080i picture will be just fine and it will still look great.

Here is one thing I wonder about native 1080p TVs: Will they be the same or worse when trying to display standard-def signals than a 720p/1080i TV? The 1080p sets might try to fill all the extra available resolution with image data that isn't there, so I wonder if a SD signal might look worse. Hmmmm....

Collapse -
DAN THE MAN YOUR MY HOME THEATER GOD HA HA THANKS
by stewart norrie / September 10, 2006 9:10 AM PDT

I think you are correct. But if my new Blue ray player looks as good as the 1080I picture I get from My Dish 811 I will be thrilled. Nothing but trailers on c.net gives a 1080I picture that gets my juices flowing so I do know blue ray should look as awsome as that Also saw on Discovery H.D. theater today a program about all the Atom bomb tests that were done in the 40s and 50s What a show they took all the old film and digitally cleaned it up to perfection a must see for you stewee

Collapse -
It is not a 1080i picture
by breslin / September 10, 2006 11:28 AM PDT

Let's not confuse Wobulation with interlaced.

In a traditional interlaced CRT based TV, the video signal was split between even and odd numbers of lines, i.e. a 480line picture would be made up of 240 odd lines -1 through 479- and 240 even lines -2 through 480-. The CRT would then alternate displaying the odd and even lines 60 times per second. With a progressive display all 480 lines are displayed 60 times per second. I don't want to confuse the issue with a discussion of different refresh rates. The progressive display does not have more resolution than the interlaced, they are both 480 lines. The progressive display looks better becuase the picture has a more stable look, in essence each line is refreshed 60 times per second instead of 30 time per second with interlaced.

DLP uses a chip with thousands of micromirrors to display pictures. There?s a limit to how small the mirrors can become and still produce a good image. Texas Instruments, maxed out with its 1,280-by-720 array. So HP created Wobulation, a technique that takes advantage of the fact that DLP mirrors can oscillate every 1/120 of a second (or 120 times per second) to create a series of overlapping pixels, which the eye melds together. The result is two visible pixels for each physical mirror, or a true 1,920-by-1,080 picture using a 960x1080 mirror array DLP chip.

Let your eyes be the judge

Collapse -
Wobulation=FUDGE, but it saves money.
by jcrobso / September 11, 2006 7:17 AM PDT

TI could make a full 1920x1080 chip, but it would double the cost, so Wobulation is here.
I saw a 1080p plamsa, now that was jaw dropping.
The amout of FUD around this 1080p is just mind boggling!!!
Yes, analog TV operate one way and digital TVs operate a different way. Eveyone babbles about 1080i or 1080p which is better, etc, etc. And ignors bandwidth, this is the REAL picture quality factor. 720p & 1080i need about 45~50 megabits of band width. SD video has about 4.5megabits or 1/10th of the bandwidth, thus SD dosen't look very good on many HDTVs. john

Collapse -
1080p prices aren't dropping anytime soon
by Dan Filice / September 8, 2006 2:36 PM PDT

1080p TVs are just hitting the market so you won't see any "price drop" for a long time. How many years were 720p sets around before their prices fell?

Collapse -
Nuh uh
by Pakman3000 / September 8, 2006 4:27 PM PDT

1080p sets are dropping soon. My store's Sharp rep came in today and showed me a 46" 1080p set that comes out in Oct @ $3300 which is the price of a current 46" 720p Sammie! It was in our system and no one knew about it! It's topping my list because I'm also in the market for a 1080p set (see my want list). Check out the specs on this badboy.

http://www.sharpusa.com/products/ModelLanding/0,1058,1745,00.html

The 52" is gonna go for $4500 which is near the price of the 46"XBR2. Times are changing. All manufacturers are jumping in and prices will go down accordingly. BTW, the Sharp rep told me that it will have HDMI 1.3. Since he's a Sharp spokeperson, I emailed Sharp today as a customer to see if this is true. Sony emailed me saying that the 46"XBR2/3 models have HDMI 1.1. Samsung couldn't even ansewr me in plain english. They said all HDMI is the same with no specific version LOL

Collapse -
Excellent! I like lower prices!
by Dan Filice / September 9, 2006 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Nuh uh

Now, if the retailers can only figure out how to have consistent prices. Best Buy in my area will typically have a 10% sale on TVs, then a week later they mail out discount coupons for 10%, but the TVs all go back up to retail list prices.

Collapse -
lcdtvs
by ddadamson / September 9, 2006 5:54 AM PDT

check www protronusa.com for more1920x1080 at a cheap price.

Collapse -
1080p
by gt350 / September 9, 2006 8:20 PM PDT

jvc rp, pioneer plasma hatachi 42 plasma (alot of pixelating)--not so hot, but all are not so cheap, if at 42'' u dont need 1080p. also have seen ps3 hd wow. but im a x box fan. good luck

Collapse -
Going with the Sony KDS-50a2000
by Alex Ciba / September 14, 2006 1:02 AM PDT

Seems to be a great TV, can replicate every pixel of 1080p and it fairly cheap while still a big screen. I went to Best Buy the other day and the guy told me I could have it for 2,200$! Doesn't include tax or warranty but that'll only bump it up to 2,800 or so which includes a free lamp... Plus being a member of Best Buy Rewards, every 150$ is 5$ off, so I'm roughly spending 2,700$.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?