Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Find/Replace problem that I *thought* was simple?

by imtheish / April 22, 2004 4:06 PM PDT

Hello all =]

I have run into a problem that I thought would not be one...

ok..

I have to generate transcripts for some conference attendees. I have a spreadsheet with over 1,000 people on it, and every person could have taken as little as 1 course to up to 11 courses (out of about 70 different courses).

At the conference, each attendee swiped their badge upon entry to the room into a PDA. After attendance was done, the PDA's were retuned, docked, and exported the attendee info into Excel by session. My plan was to create merged document in Word using the Excel sheet as the data source.

Now, I already had gotten over the issue of expanding the session code, for example from:

CulturalEd

to:

Course: Cultural Education
Date: Monday, April 5, 2004
Credits Awarded: 2.5

in the cell (I just learned after many years about the Alt+Enter magic). But NOW I have a new and more peculiar problem....

When I do a find for 'CulturalEd', that's no problem of course, but when I copy the contents of the cell and click the option to 'keep cell formatting', which would be to keep the line breaks in to look like what's above, it converts it all into:

Course: Cultural Education Date: Monday, April 5, 2004 Credits Awarded: 2.5

I SOOOO NEED to be able to do a find/replace that will keep the cell formatting. Does ANYONE know how I could get around this? Like I said, I have more than 4,000 courses that need to be expanded in this manner so I can then import them into the Word document to print and mail each person's indiviudalized transcript.

Thank -YOU- so much for taking the time to read all of this! I needed to have this done like 2 weeks ago, and any assistance that will get me closer to accomplishing this task is GREATLY appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Find/Replace problem that I *thought* was simple?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Find/Replace problem that I *thought* was simple?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Find/Replace problem that I *thought* was simple?
by Kees Bakker / April 22, 2004 8:30 PM PDT

All I can offer is an alternative solution.

- Leave the cell with the original code.
- Make a lookuptable with the code as 'key' (first column) and full name, date and credits as the next three.
- Make three new columns.
- Put the right VLOOKUP-formula in the three new colums.
- Now you've got three separate fields, with you can use in a mail-merge.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
by JethroUK / April 23, 2004 3:16 AM PDT

Find What: "CulturalEd"

Replace With: =A1

Where A1 contains the correct replacment

Remember to format the cells and/or column to 'Wrap text'

Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / April 23, 2004 5:27 AM PDT

And another creative solution.

- Replace the alt-enter with a unique character (like #, of |).
- Mail-merge into a document.
- Search and replace # by paragraph mark (more>special).
- Print the document.

I'm sure one of three methods mentioned here will work satisfactory for you.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks All =]
by imtheish / April 23, 2004 7:13 AM PDT

I will try some of your suggestions, although I am not familiar with the VLOOKUP commands, etc.

Adding the character sounds like an easier option though...

But, to you guys' knowledge, do you have any idea why I can Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V and it works, but when I do a formal Find/Replace it doesn't?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!