Computer Help forum

General discussion

finally someone please help me

by kurbchecker / April 17, 2004 3:45 PM PDT

ok where to start the computer i got had windows me on it but it was missing necessary files i couldnt get on the internet and i didnt have a windows me cd to reinstall necessary files so i dedided to uninstall windows me and i had a windows 98 cd so i installed that. I F-disked it (which was the biggest mistake of my life). lets just say the computered wasnt the same for a long time all i had was 16 bit color but i fixed that somehow. i ended up getting my hands on a windows me installation cd so i upgraded back to windows me from 98 but now my computer says all i have is 120 MB. in the beginnning there was this game i played just fine but since i reinstalled windows me it says i dont have enough memory to play the game that i need 128 MB. i know my computer had that much before i touched it . everything else is just fine with the computer please help please....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: finally someone please help me
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: finally someone please help me
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:finally someone please help me (I have no Windows ME CD and installed 98)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2004 10:51 PM PDT

Probably the best move you've ever done!

Now to finish off the 98 install.

Find and install the drivers for:

Motherboard, video card, audio, modem and what else you have. The forum could help, but given no information about the machine, no one can supply helpful links. Look up AIDA32 to see if it can sniff out what it is.

-> YOUR MEMORY ISSUE! I bet your machine has ON BOARD video and it steals memory from the system to run the video.

The fix? Add another 128M stick of RAM. You might see someone note a video card solution, but that's not going to work on some i810 based boards. Why? The maker didn't supply a way to truly disable the onboard video.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:finally someone please help me (I have no Windows ME CD and installed 98)

thanks bob but what if i went ahead and changed my mind and put windows me back on the computer. now it says that i only have 120 mb ram. i went had to fix my display 16 bit color problem by getting a new video cardf i think because i did only have an on board video card so i inserted another video card so now on the back of my computer tower i have to spots where i can hook up a monitor. at first i couldnt get it to work it kept switching back to the other video card but than i fooled around and found out how to disable the onboard vidoe card and use the other one and now i have 256 color display options. but now all of a sudden it only has 120 mb of ram when before i F-disked it i didnt recieve the error message. is there a place maybe in the bios or something that maybe is set to only allow the computer to recognize 120 mb please help!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:finally someone please help me (I have no Windows ME CD and installed 98)

128 mb of ramm? dont forget the system uses some of that so if the game needs that much plus what the system is using, naturally you don't have enough. ramm chips are really cheap right now. pick up a 256mb ramm chip for 20 bucks. tiger direct.com has all your needs right online. 512 is even better and you dont get all those nasty screen freezes all the time with enough ramm in there. also you could try turning off programs in the start up menu you dont really need at start up and boy, they are a lot of them. I skinned mine down to 4 need to use programs on me start up and it just snaps on now.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?