Desktops forum

General discussion

Finally going to purchase a brand new puter

but I don't know what to buy for sure. I am looking at a Compaq, sempron processor, 512 RAM, 160 hard drive w/monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers for 598.00. Win XP and CD writer included. But people are trying to get me to look at a Dell but I don't know how to put one together on the Dell site? Any suggestions? I am not a pro, yet, but I am not a beginner either. If anyone has a good suggestion on the best package under 650 bucks, your feedback is appreciated:) Denise in Alabama:)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Finally going to purchase a brand new puter
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Finally going to purchase a brand new puter
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here's some good deals!

In reply to: Finally going to purchase a brand new puter

Collapse -
about Sempron...

In reply to: Here's some good deals!

I would stay away as well. If u want to go cheaper and like AMD, go with an Athlon XP

Collapse -
can you tell me why?

In reply to: Here's some good deals!

I respect your opinion and would like to have it before I go in tomorrow to buy my puter. I have selected an HP Compaq Presario with a Sempron Processor. But if you have something that would help me in making this decision, please, bring it on!!:) denise

Collapse -
Emachine T5026

intel 3.06 GHz
512 GB DDR333
160 GB Hard Drive
16x DVD+_RW
CD-Rom
Windows XP Home
Intel 915 GV

comes with monitor, printer, and speakers,keyboard/mouse
for $569 at circuitcity

upgradeable to new P4 6xx series the motherboard
and compatible with DDR2

check it out!!!!!!
Roger

Collapse -
thank you Roger

In reply to: Emachine T5026

we don't have Circuit City here but I sure wish we did. I am from Oregon and there was one in Portland near where I lived. Great store:) Like going to disneyland:)LOL!! denise

Collapse -
I've had Compaqs. . .

since the late nineties. Three desktops and three laptops. My brother just bought a new Compaq laptop and he loves it.

Collapse -
my first was a compaq also

In reply to: I've had Compaqs. . .

we had very good use for many years on it. The thing that concerns me most is this "processor" issue:) I don't want to go cheaper, it's just all the money I have to spend:) Can't go over 650 including tax. Plus, want a "package" deal since I haven't any decent monitor, keyboard to go with a puter.

Collapse -
Re: New Computer

Hi,

I'm looking at the lowest priced Compaq, SR1000Z with AMD Sempron, at their customize site starting at $499.99, click http://tinyurl.com/3vxs5

Ok, at that Compaq customize site we change the processor from AMD Sempron to AMD Athlon XP3200 (2.2 GHz) which adds $30.
Then we change the hard drive from 80GB to 160GB which adds $50. Everything else is similar to what you show. (However, I meself would want the Video card upgrade from the Integrated graphics.)
Total price $579.99, but notice it does not include a monitor, nor did you mention a monitor in your setup.

So, to customize a Dell, you go through about the same procedures. It should be noted that Dell changes their setup on what they give away just about every week, so it is usually best to watch for some time to get the right free stuff you want with the best overall prices that they shift around.

The lowest priced Dell Dimension 3000 is $499 at this customized site click http://tinyurl.com/55cb2

It is a Pent4, 2.8GHz. Configuring the exact same components as the Compaq (including the 1yr warranty), but only has Intel Integrated Extreme graphics2, it comes to $747. Also note it includes a "Free" 15 inch Analog Flat Panel (LCD) monitor. If you elect to not take the monitor they only subtract $50....(Gee they should take more than that off), but in weeks to come they will switch around what is free and the prices.

So, Compaq $580 plus their 15 inch LCD Flat Panel Monitor $240 = $820. However if you get the Compaq without a monitor, you can purchase a 17" conventional CRT monitor elsewhere for $100 or less.

Collapse -
thank you so much John

In reply to: Re: New Computer

a lot of good info here:) I am without a puter at home now since mine croaked. Its old and win95. Just not much to salvage there. So you can guess I am very anxious to "buy" but it might be worth it to try and wait around another week or so and continue checking the dell site and compaq. Depends if I can handle the "withdrawels" or not, LOL:) Thank you again, denise:)

Collapse -
After going to those 2 sites John

In reply to: Re: New Computer

I think that the Dell is out of my price-range for what I can get for my money by going with a Compaq. And the only diff in the one I could have built and the one I can buy tomorrow from Sams Club in Florence AL is that Sempron processor instead of the AMD:( After reading all the posts here I am a little leary of the Sempron now. I should be more knowledgable since I worked at Intel in Oregon for a few years but I am not. I was just a "girl friday" and pretty much the same now:)

Thank you, denise:)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.