Samsung forum

General discussion

Finally - Fully Functioning Video Streaming On Samsung TV's!

Hi All

I have succesfully set up my computer and Samsung B650 tv to stream videos perfectly over my network with full control of videos EXACTLY as it were through a USB. Full controls are present including pause, fast forward, rewind, skipping, resume and thumbnails. I have for a long time been trying different solutions to no avail but finally this is perfect.

The solution is from "SamyGO", a group of people committed to getting the most out of samsung TVs and found it via Tversity forums.
Essentially u install a new "game" onto the tv (SamyGO All Extensions). You can either run it from a usb or copy to the tv. All that needs to be done is run the game, then a "samba server" appears in the source list as a usb device. This lists all the shared folders in the network and then away you go.

How to do it: (full credit goes to initial posters)
1st - How to correctly download and install SamyGoExtensions
2nd - Edit the Samba init file for your system

Going through the forums can get confusing so ill just summarise quickly:
- [list]

[*]Download SamyGO All Extensions v0.03.1.zip
[*] Extract directly to a USB such that the SamyGO and src folders are directly in the root folder, along with the readme and other files
[*] In order for this method to work, there must be a windows user account with a password which has access to folders that you are sharing. Sharing is done by just right clicking the folder and enabling its sharing. This method will not work if you use a account without a password. What I did was just create a new account called "Samba" purely for this purpose and then edit the registry so it does not come up in the startup logon screen. This way my computer just loads straight into my default administrator account and still behaves like there is only one account.
[*] Open 04_04_samba.init in SamyGo/etc/init.d folder using notepad++ not windows notepad as it will not work
[*] Add the username and password the windows account that has access to the folders you are sharing. Technically nothing else need to be changed for this to work, but I just added my compters IP to make things faster when actually starting it up. Remember to use notepad++
[*] Not reccomended by SamyGo admins, but people do do it to make startup faster - replace the SamyGOE.so file with the one from V0.02 as it reduces load up time. I have done it myself, but its not recomneded to mix and match files.
[*] Plug USB in to tv, go to the second option that appears, content management, go to usb, go to game, then SamyGoAllExtensions will be there. You can run this through this method from here, or copy to the tv and run it subsequently through the conent button. I hate that button becuase it is super slow, so i just have a small usb i leave in the tv at all times and run it from there off the usb. If running off the usb, you cannot remove it.
[*] When you run it, "pretty colours" according to the original poster will be seen. These are not tv generated, its the applications just displaying it. Then messages of two new devices being connected will be displayed; "UpNp server" and "Samba server".
[*] Exit all this and go to the source menu, Samba server, videos, select the ip adress that has shares, and there they are. Everything can be had with full control

[*] Once this procedure is done, subsequently when you want to stream, just need to launch the "game" SamyGoAllExtensions, either directly from USB or from copied to TV Memory. Colours will appear, Devices will be found. You will select Samba server from source list and great fun will be had by all. Takes 30 seconds max. Just remember that if you are doing it straight after turning the tv on, give it a minute or so, so that it can detect the network, especially for wireless connections (as mine Happy )
[/list]

So there we have it. Samsung TVs doing what we always wanted them to do. Absolutely awesome. The guys over at SamyGo are absolutely brilliant and I definately think they need acknowledgement from Samsung. This is what samsung should have done in the first place.

Full credit goes to all the original posters.

Cheers

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Finally - Fully Functioning Video Streaming On Samsung TV's!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Finally - Fully Functioning Video Streaming On Samsung TV's!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Finally - Fully Functioning Video Streaming On Samsung TV's!

Thanks for your post, But all the links are blank?

Steve

Collapse -
Repost with working links

In reply to: Thanks

Cnet seems to kill the link, ill post again here with the links:

Hi All

I have succesfully set up my computer and Samsung B650 tv to stream videos perfectly over my network with full control of videos EXACTLY as it were through a USB. Full controls are present including pause, fast forward, rewind, skipping, resume and thumbnails. I have for a long time been trying different solutions to no avail but finally this is perfect.

The solution is from "SamyGO", a group of people committed to getting the most out of samsung TVs and found it via Tversity forums.
Essentially u install a new "game" onto the tv (SamyGO All Extensions). You can either run it from a usb or copy to the tv. All that needs to be done is run the game, then a "samba server" appears in the source list as a usb device. This lists all the shared folders in the network and then away you go.

How to do it: (full credit goes to initial posters)
1st - How to correctly download and install SamyGoExtensions [http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44535#p95636]
2nd - Edit the Samba init file for your system [http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10992&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=135#p96775]

Going through the forums can get confusing so ill just summarise quickly:
- [list]

[*]Download SamyGO All Extensions v0.03.1.zip [https://sourceforge.net/projects/samygo/files/SamyGO%20Kernel%20Modules/SamyGO%20All%20Extensions%20v0.03.1.zip/download]
[*] Extract directly to a USB such that the SamyGO and src folders are directly in the root folder, along with the readme and other files
[*] In order for this method to work, there must be a windows user account with a password which has access to folders that you are sharing. Sharing is done by just right clicking the folder and enabling its sharing. This method will not work if you use a account without a password. What I did was just create a new account called "Samba" purely for this purpose and then edit the registry so it does not come up in the startup logon screen. This way my computer just loads straight into my default administrator account and still behaves like there is only one account.
[*] Open 04_04_samba.init in SamyGo/etc/init.d folder using notepad++ not windows notepad as it will not work
[*] Add the username and password the windows account that has access to the folders you are sharing. Technically nothing else need to be changed for this to work, but I just added my compters IP to make things faster when actually starting it up. Remember to use notepad++
[*] Not reccomended by SamyGo admins, but people do do it to make startup faster - replace the SamyGOE.so file with the one from V0.02 as it reduces load up time. I have done it myself, but its not recomneded to mix and match files.
[*] Plug USB in to tv, go to the second option that appears, content management, go to usb, go to game, then SamyGoAllExtensions will be there. You can run this through this method from here, or copy to the tv and run it subsequently through the conent button. I hate that button becuase it is super slow, so i just have a small usb i leave in the tv at all times and run it from there off the usb. If running off the usb, you cannot remove it.
[*] When you run it, "pretty colours" according to the original poster will be seen. These are not tv generated, its the applications just displaying it. Then messages of two new devices being connected will be displayed; "UpNp server" and "Samba server".
[*] Exit all this and go to the source menu, Samba server, videos, select the ip adress that has shares, and there they are. Everything can be had with full control

[*] Once this procedure is done, subsequently when you want to stream, just need to launch the "game" SamyGoAllExtensions, either directly from USB or from copied to TV Memory. Colours will appear, Devices will be found. You will select Samba server from source list and great fun will be had by all. Takes 30 seconds max. Just remember that if you are doing it straight after turning the tv on, give it a minute or so, so that it can detect the network, especially for wireless connections (as mine )
[/list]

Given that this uses the same protocol as normal windows folder sharing, instead of DLNA protocol, it is not bound to the restrictions of DLNA and plays almost everything you throw at it.

So there we have it. Samsung TVs doing what we always wanted them to do. Absolutely awesome. The guys over at SamyGo [http://samygo.sourceforge.net/] are absolutely brilliant and I definately think they need acknowledgement from Samsung. This is what samsung should have done in the first place.

Full credit goes to all the original posters.

Cheers

Collapse -
good but not perfect yet

In reply to: Finally - Fully Functioning Video Streaming On Samsung TV's!

SamyGo extension is working perfectly even on my tv, drive map work really fine... only "defect" is that the remote drive disconnect after each power off, everitime you power on the TV you have to map again the network drive.

Collapse -
l

In reply to: good but not perfect yet

Does this programe sort out the stretch problem?

could some post a link to make sure I get the right file, my TV is a UE40B8000

thanks

Collapse -
AR fix

In reply to: l

Collapse -
Stretch fix DLNA

In reply to: AR fix

It's to bad that we have to hack the firmware for the small needed imrofement on screensize as samsung can easy fix this in the firmware's.

Samsung please fix those small things.

Also i made a phone call to samsung to ask for this fix.

The woman on the phone did write this down and did send it to the right person she promised.

Collapse -
Sorry to dig up an old post.

In reply to: Stretch fix DLNA

But I cannot seem to find the SammyGo all extions download. Or at least the latest one. I found one that is v0.02 but that looks older then what is posted here. I have a un55b8000 and am interested in trying this. I have the latest firmware installed however so not sure if it will still work. I"m trying to sort though all this to figure this out.

But I agree that it's rediculous to have to go through all this hassle with hacks to get the funtionallity that should be there already! It seems like it's possible. Why doesn't Samsung do it properly??

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.