HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Finally finished

by Howmu / July 8, 2010 6:25 AM PDT

My shop built Computer [2.15 Gigahetz,512 M of memory running wIN xp sp3], seems to have finally let me down. Over the years I have had many problems which the staff and helpful contributors of CNet have usually been able to help me with. But I think this one is beyond help. I have been having problems this past week or 2 but have worked them out. Just last night I created a restore point which I labeledas "Working like new" That must have been the kiss of death because this morning when I went to my computer {and I didn't turn it off overnight}, it was completely unresponsive. I've been trying much of the day but nothing seems to bring it to life. I can get into safe mode but no web site will open. And in normal boot up I get to the desktop but everything is unresponsive including Start menu. Some of my systray items appear but then even that stops so they don't all show. Several times I tried restore {from Safe Mode} but that just hangs after a point. I am writing this on a laptop that I have for emergencies.

I put in my Windows xp pro installation disc thinking I would try a format and reinstall of windows but even that will not appear on my screen. Actually I think this is a hardware issue but of course I don't know. Before I go out and buy a new computer, I would like some input from The forum. Any thoughts on the matter?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Finally finished
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Finally finished
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Less parts?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2010 8:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Finally finished

When I look at a cranky machine I check heatsink (does it feel securely fastened>), and then I look at what I can remove from the machine. That extra drive(s), a 3D card and back to onboard video and even pull the ram and leave one stick.
Bob

Collapse -
Bob, you have helped me before
by Howmu / July 8, 2010 10:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Less parts?

but this one seems pretty hopeless. Noextra drive to pull, a tight heatsink, no extra cards and the upsetting thing is that it worked so well just last night. I checked the hdd temp which is bout what it usually is. I also let it cool for some hours before trying to reboot. I think it has just reached the end of its life, a little over 6 years of daily use. So I'm not really sad about getting a new computer altho I was somewhat proud of having kept it going and quite well for so long. I read some comments from you about Dell and it sounds like it will do well for my needs and I can get so much more for the same price that I paid for my present computer. Thank you for your expert help now and in the past. Hopefully I won't be needit for a while at least.

Collapse -
Just to keep you up to date
by Howmu / July 10, 2010 12:40 AM PDT

I have to let you know of a seies of serendipitous events which led to a successful restoration of my machine. Before buying a new machine I decided to try a startup in diagnostic mode. To my surprise, the machine booted up perfectly and quickly altho with a few less items in the system tray. I was very pleased till I tried to access the internet and found I still couldn't do that. So just on a chance I decided to look at my device manager and found it was blank. A MS KB advised me to go into services from Administrative tools in my control panel and make sure that "Plug and Play" was enabled. Sure enough it was disabled when I looked and so were about 40 other services disabled. I went thru a lot of clicking to turn them all to "automatic" and restarted my computer and to my surprise everything works like a brand new computer now. I have no idea how all those services got turned off but am delighted that turning them back solved the problem. I don't know if this might help anyone else with a similar problem but in the hope that it will I write this. If anyone has any idea of how so many services got turned off I would love to hear it.

Collapse -
Too often it's malware.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2010 12:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
In msconfig
by Howmu / July 10, 2010 4:06 AM PDT

Under selective startups, the is an option to load services. I must have had that unchecked. The black viper site you sent me did mention not to use msconfig to change the type of startup for just that reason. I had been using it and no doubt thats where the problem came from. Thanks for you input.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.