Audio & Video Software forum

finalize disk?

by mysisis / July 23, 2011 5:07 AM PDT

I've tried 5 times to burn a cd with music and it just isn't happening. I go to windows media player, click burn, move all the music choices to the list, click start burn... wait.. it says it's doing it. When it's done the disk ejects automatically. I put it in a cd player, it says it's reading it, then says the disk is not finalized. I've searched for the answer, but i don't see the links they say I should be looking right at.
Windows 7 , IE ,
PLEASE help. I'm thinking its something simple but I've got 2 headache filled days into it and can't figure it out.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: finalize disk?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: finalize disk?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
WMP Help file
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 23, 2011 6:13 AM PDT
In reply to: finalize disk?

There should be help on this in the WMP Help file.

This is what it should say for WMP 12;

"Close or finalize a CD or DVD

Before you can use a recordable disc (such as CD-R, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-R DL, or DVD+R DL) formatted with the Live File System format in other computers, you need to close the current disc session to prepare the disc for use.

For more information, see Burn a CD or DVD in Windows Explorer.

To stop closing a disc session automatically

The disc session is closed by default when you eject a disc that can be burned in multiple sessions (called multi-session capable discs, such as CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+R, DVD-R, and BD-R discs), as well as for single-session capable discs (such as such DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM,
DVD+R DL, DVD-R DL, and BD-RE discs). This is a system level setting that applies to all user accounts on that computer. You must be logged on with a user account that has administrative privileges to change these settings using the steps below.

You can change the close session settings for both multi-session and single-session capable discs by doing the following:

Click to open Computer.

Right-click the disc burner, and then click Properties.

Click the Recording tab, and then click Global Settings. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Do one or both of the following in the Global Settings dialog box, and then click OK:

If you don't want to automatically close the session when you eject a single session-only disc, clear the Single session-only discs are ejected check box.

If you don't want to automatically close the session when you eject a multi session-capable disc, clear the Multi session-capable discs are ejected check box.

To close a disc session manually

Click to open Computer.

In Windows Explorer, click the disc burner drive, and then click Close session on the toolbar.

The session will be closed, so the disc can be used in other computers.

After you close a disc session for multi-session capable discs, you can still add more files to the disc, but you must close each additional session to be able to use the disc on another computer. About 20 megabytes (MB) of disc space is used each time you close a session.

If you remove a disc from your burner without closing the disc session, you can close it later on. Just insert it back into your computer's disc burner and follow the steps above to close the session.

Some programs might finalize your disc instead of closing the current session. You can't add any additional files to a disc that has been finalized. When you burn a CD or DVD using Windows Explorer, the disc is not finalized.

I copied that entry from;

Hope that helps.

Collapse -
hmm.. I tried that. and just tried it again. BUT...
by mysisis / July 23, 2011 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: WMP Help file

I got as far as global settings. both boxes are checked to close the disk after it's done. Doesn't change that it doesn't close the file, it just spits out the disc (ejects) after the burn. Then I tried the other idea. I click on the disc burner drive,but there is NOTHING in, or, or near the toolbar saying "close session'.

Collapse -
oh.. new error message..
by mysisis / July 23, 2011 11:19 AM PDT
In reply to: WMP Help file

In my efforts to figure this out, I tried burning it without using windows media player. I got a popup saying the disc didn't load and to check for updates on the firmware for my disc burner. Does this make any sense to you? The disc burner ? It's the only slot on the computer. It came with the computer. It's a gateway; windows 7. internet explorer. it's a lovely black tower. What am I missing? how on earth can I change a serpentine belt on my van and not understand how to move my music to a disc?

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?