Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

Final Word: Wii VS PS3 VS Xbox 360

by Kalidascorp / November 16, 2006 10:02 AM PST

With the PS3 launch tommorow and the Wii launch not long after, this might be (although I still doubt it) the last thread like this. Really, all this will have is the facts you need to know, as well as the comparisons. (I'm bored today, so I really don't care if there are 500 other threads like this)

After reading this, what console do you think I'm going to get?

GRAPHICS:
Wii: Roughly the same as the older GameCube. Not the best graphics possible, although acceptable to next-gen standards. Compared to the Xbox 360 and PS3 though, anyone could tell that the Wii is a dwarf in the graphics department.
PS3: A large advancement in console graphics, making any game look good. But, a huge flaw was revealed recently. The PS3 runs in 720p, a resolution that isn't compatible with many older HDTVs. What's worse, is that if the TV does not support it, it's scaled down to 480p, matching the Wii. This could be a devestating blow for PS3 fans. Compared to the Wii, this easily beats the crap out of it. Compared to the 360, while the technical specs are near identical, the little detail of the scaling down nudges this just below the 360. This still shouldn't make much of a diffrence for the loyalists.
360: Keeping up with the PS3, the 360 has a slightly older graphics system, but still highly rivals the PS3. What's more, the 360 upscales the resolution from 720p to 1080i, which is the little bit that got the 360 highest up, even if it's only a little bit.

OVERALL GRAPHICS:
The Wii is nothing to be gloating over in terms of graphics, even though it's way below the PS3 and 360. On the other hand, PS3 and 360 are really close in terms of graphics, so this should not be a desiding factor with either system.

GAMEPLAY:
Wii: The Wii has a revolutionary design, completely ditching old-style analog controllers and their designs. The Wii has made a new motion sensitive feature that is implemented in most games coming out. This style has been perfected and works very well, and is a huge revolution in gameplay. Compared to the PS3, who also stuffed in a motion-sensitive feature, the Wii knocks it out. The 360 can't be compared to the Wii controller, besides the fact that they are both really diffrent.
PS3: Made like the original controller, although now they ditched the rumble feature, which is a dissapointment to many fans. It was replaced with a motion detector similar to the Wii's, although it was a last minute addition which caused just one launch game to use it, and it downright sucks. Who's going to be swinging their arms around in such a position while holding the controller. The rumble feature would be way more worth it. There was one change to the layout, however: L2 and R2 have become trigger buttons, like the 360. Compared to the Wii controller, Wii wins hands down. The way it was made was to make it easy for the arm to use it's motion detection. Compared to the 360, it's all a matter of how to controller feels in one's hand.

OVERALL GAMEPLAY:
This is mostly a matter of preferance. All that can be said is that the Wii and 360 gameplay is great, and both do their job amazingly. The PS3 controller is also great, rivaling the 360's, but the motion sensitivity is horrible, and the hope for a game that uses the feature well to come out is rather low. So, PS3 controller is great, just stay away from the motion part of it.

PRICING:
Wii: At $250 for a console, this is by FAR the cheapest next-gen console out there. Games are $50, and the Virtual Console will sell games anywhere from $5-$10. Compared to the other rivals, the Wii is simply much more affordable. With the Wii, you could buy the console plus 4 games with the same amount of money you can purchase a PS3 and just 1 game for!
PS3: With a console priced at $600, this is a highly priced console. But, note that it costs Sony over $800 to make a single console. This may be good, because you get a lot for your money, but note that it could destroy Sony as we know it in the future.
360: At $400 for a premium system, this is one heck of a good value. Unfortunatly, the online features have monthly payments, while the competitors provide the service free.

OVERALL PRICING:
The Wii and 360 are very good buys money-wise, while the PS3 is simply expensive. If you have the money to afford a PS3, it's well worth it due to how underpriced it is.

=======================================================

Those are the 3 sections I rated. They are accurate as far as I can tell. Warn me if there is anything I made an error on.

Now, can you guess which console I'm buying and rooting for? :-P

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Final Word: Wii VS PS3 VS Xbox 360
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Final Word: Wii VS PS3 VS Xbox 360
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
well..
by Wii_Fanatic_ / November 16, 2006 11:31 PM PST

I think that you are rooting for the wii and 360.

Also you made a mistake with the pricing you could buy a Wii and 7 games for the price of a ps3.

Collapse -
wow
by Wii_Fanatic_ / November 17, 2006 4:29 AM PST
In reply to: Hey man

haha that looked crazy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!