Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Filter not working in Outlook Express 6

I seem unable to get my filter to work ie
Tools -> message rules -> mail rules.

I set all messages containing Rolex or Pharmacy to be deleted and it does not happen.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Filter not working in Outlook Express 6
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Filter not working in Outlook Express 6
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) same problem ---- too much junk getting in

In reply to: Filter not working in Outlook Express 6

Collapse -
OE Mail rules don't work for me

Spammers will use names in cc which all begin with the first letter of my email address and the same ISP. I put these names in mail rules to block them if they appear in To: or CC: but it does no good. What good is the mail rules option in OE6?

Collapse -
Cloudmark's Safety Bar

You might want to look into installing a add-on software that uses 'bayesian' filtering than simple 'word' filtering. The software will look at the entire message and determine based on precedent that you set to flag message as a 'spam' item or not.

You might want to consider installing Cloudmark's "Safety Bar" which will work with Outlook and/or Outlook Express (among a few email clients).

http://www.cloudmark.com/?rc=c1u4hl

"If a spam or fraud message does slip through, you just click on the appropriate Block button and it will block that message from your email, my email and the email of more than one million other Safety Bar users immediately. So every time you Block a message you are helping others in the community to stop spam".

Collapse -
anti-spam software and/or Outlook 2003

In reply to: Cloudmark's Safety Bar

I'm still using Outlook 2002 and get tons of spam. A knowledgeable friend tells me that Outlook 2003 takes care of spam. Would I be better off upgrading to 2003? Or should I get antispam software such as Cloudmark. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Collapse -
What I use. (Popfile)

In reply to: anti-spam software and/or Outlook 2003

Call me a non-believer about OL2003 helping in spam reduction. I now have POPFILE installed and after a few months it's pretty darn good at sifting out the spam.

Some may find it too technical, but it's what I use and can say it's good stuff.

Bob

Collapse -
Outlook 2003/Cloudmark

Outlook 2003 might have an anti-spam feature but it doesn't use bayesian filtering -- this is the way to go when you're trying to filter out the spam.

I personally use Cloudmark's Safety Bar and it catches like about 90-95% of spam and puts the spam in a spam folder (this way you can actually sift and make sure that each item is spam).

Because the two works together, you've got nothing to lose.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Just adding. Popfile uses bayesian.

In reply to: Outlook 2003/Cloudmark

Collapse -
server

In reply to: (NT) Just adding. Popfile uses bayesian.

Bob, do I need to let it change server to 127.0.0.1 or whatever it was?

Collapse -
Yes. I changed mine to whatever it was.

In reply to: server

I've been running popfile for some time now. I'm forced into this one since I have a MSN pop/smtp account and it's SPA authorization is not supported widely.

Mailwasher used to be what I used, but it began to buckle under the new methods that the spammers used. Popfile however is doing great.

It's a game of sorts. They upped the ante so I had to find a better spameater.

Bob

Collapse -
Filter not working in Outlook Express 6

Outlook Express filtering doesn't seem to find words in html code in emails. For example. I also have a filter to delete emails containing Rolex since I was getting a lot of ''rolex knockoff'' ads. If the email is plain text it catches it. If the word ''rolex'' appears after an <html> tag it doesn't.

Collapse -
Gmail with outlook

I have found that logging on to Gmail and recieving my Mail thru outlook via them and get almost no spam. Gmail removes about 400 spam mails a week. I get about 2 spams a month

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.