Video Cameras forum

Question

filming with manual focus

I have a nummingbird nest, the fourth in my atrium about 6 feet above ground on a wind chime. I set up a blind to shoot through but when I foucus in to close the camera doesn't want to hold the foucus, it goes in and out unless I back off a bit. I am using a Panasonic Luminx camera which shoots video.

Not sure why the focus won't hold. The only cams with a focus ring at Fry's were from 1300-1800. I wonder if a 500-700 camcorder with just autofocus, anti shake, would hold the close foucus or it can it only be accomplised with cam with manual focus.

I want to be in the blind and have the close up that I want as the mom feeds the babies all set and when I here her flying in I start the video until see leaves. I have videos posted on You Tube under startechnow so made if you look a couple you may get a better idea of what I am trying to do. I am about 7 feet from the nest on the ladder.

Thanks to anyone that takes the time to look at the videos and give me some ideas of what to do. JJ. Also pics on Face Book under John Birdman Joseph. Thanks again.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: filming with manual focus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: filming with manual focus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Video

In reply to: filming with manual focus

You failed to mention the model number of your Panasonic Camera.
So we can not download a User Manual for the camera.

Some video cameras have the choice of continuous focus or they only focus when you first start the video.
Check your user manual and see if you can turn-off continuous focus.

For those who would like to see the video examples, could you provide a link to the video.

Collapse -
model of camera

In reply to: Video

Sorry about that. Luminix DMC-FZ40

let go try and copy the You Tude link other wise at You Tube under search type in startechnow if nothing else you should enjoying seeing mom feed the kids. Back in a few minutes. JJ

Collapse -
(NT) if I don't see your answer my email is jj@quiknet.com.Thanks

In reply to: model of camera

Collapse -
Forum

In reply to: if I don't see your answer my email is jj@quiknet.com.Thanks

Sorry thegoldminer,

This is a forum, not a chat-room.

You leave your message and wait (a day or two) for an answer.
We need time to think, download, read, sleep, before we respond.

I am going to download the User Manual and view the video(s).

Collapse -
snapshot2 is providing helpful stuff... but let us be clear:

In reply to: Forum

The Panasonic Lumix series cameras are digital still cameras that are designed to capture digital stills. Video (and audio) capture is a "convenience feature" - and most in this genre will not do a very good job at that compared to a (video) camcorder - hence the experience you are having. Turning off continuous autofocus may help, but this sort of camera won't do what a camcorder with manual focus capability will do. Conversely, a camcorder is designed to capture video (and audio) and capturing stills is a convenience feature (and won't do as good of a job as a digital still camera - regardless of the specs).

Collapse -
Thanks boya84

In reply to: snapshot2 is providing helpful stuff... but let us be clear:

I agree completely.

Any new questions about the Panasonic FZ40 should be posted on the Digital Cameras Forum at:

http://forums.cnet.com/digital-cameras-forum/

People would like to find one camera device that does still pictures and video equally well.
But, so far that has not happened.
Still cameras treat video as an afterthought and little money is spent advancing video ability
Audio circuits on a still camera are generally poor.

Collapse -
link to great videos of mother hummingbird feeding babies

Collapse -
link yo videos in case last reply didn't work.

Collapse -
The youtube links you posted refer

In reply to: link yo videos in case last reply didn't work.

generically to a YouTube poster's video upload list. When I click on the link (only one - all have the same reference to "feature=mehee"), my video list is presented. To provide a list to the specific video, the link should look like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxxxxxxxx where "x" represents the unique ID of the specific video.

In this case, since snapshot2 does not do YouTube, the mehee designation is taking them to a list that does not exist - which is why it is trying to get them to log in (and identify the account).

Collapse -
Answer
link to videos

In reply to: filming with manual focus

Collapse -
youtube

In reply to: link to videos

All of the links you posted require that I sign-in at youtube.
I do not have an account with you-tube.
I don't care to join youtube.
I will download the User Manual.

Collapse -
User Manual

In reply to: youtube

I downloaded Operating Instructions for Advanced Features.

I suspect that "Continuous AF" (Auto Focus) is set to ON, and that causes the camera to refocus due to something in the field of view is moving (such as a leaf moving with the breeze).

I suggest you set "Continuous AF" to OFF.
that is done in the Motion Picture Menu.

See page 146 in your Operating Instructions for Advanced Features Manual.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.