Computer Help forum

General discussion

filezilla wont accept my details

Hi,
I have been having a great deal of trouble, as I keep getting this message every time I try to connect.
Status: Resolving IP-Address for horseracingforprofitonline.com
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220 ProFTPD 1.3.0a Server (ProFTPD Default Installation) [209.47.165.85]
Command: USER horserac
Response: 331 Password required for horserac.
Command: PASS **************
Response: 530 Login incorrect.
Error: Could not connect to server cannot log on to server.
I have been intouch with my hosting company, and all my details are correct, the only thing that I can think is that my user name is not the name that I am subscribing to your service with, how do I change that so that it is the same as the one used by my hosting company.or can you see something that I should be doing, please help, as this is driving me crazy, i've been at this problem for around 5 days.
Thanks
Veronica

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: filezilla wont accept my details
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: filezilla wont accept my details
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you are using FileZilla, the username ...

In reply to: filezilla wont accept my details

is the username the server host assigned you and the password is the password the server host assigned you.

In your case, horseracingforprofitonline.com is either your own domain or one that belongs to someone else. Whoever it belongs to was either informed by the host of the domain what the FTP username and password are or they themselves established a username and password for you to use. The passwords are case sensitive by the way and if the password was Green then GREEN or green or anything else than Green would not allow you to log in.

They would also have informed the domain owner what the FTP server was and that, in your case, would normally be ftp.horseracingforprofitonline.com using port 21 (www.horseracingforprofitonline.com or just horseracingforprofitonline.com would not work as they are not the FTP server the account and password are for).

Thus you should see that in regard to your comment "the only thing that I can think is that my user name is not the name that I am subscribing to your service with, how do I change that so that it is the same as the one used by my hosting company." your CNET username and password have NOTHING to do with your hosting company or using fileZilla.

Collapse -
Filezilla username and password problem now solved

In reply to: If you are using FileZilla, the username ...

Thankyou so much Edward, I read your reply very carefully, and what I didnt realise was that I had to enter ftp. infront of my host name, I feel absolutely elated because I am now connecting to the server, I knew that it must be something really minor that I was doing wrong, but when you are a total newbie like me you only learn by your mistakes, (I wont forget this one in a hurry).
Thankyou again.
Kind regards
Veronica

Collapse -
Glad to hear that all is well ...

In reply to: Filezilla username and password problem now solved

because if you have to use an FTP client other than the venerable old command line FileZilla does it well and is priced right.

Your site's name is interesting. My daughter used to race her horses at Churchill Downs until she decided they were taking up too much of her really limited time.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.