Question

Files moved to system area by mistake

On an XP home laptop, a number of folders were moved into a folder named: a36e72f0f6de44ca061ff8f5 (system folder that has i386 and other folders) and are now Read Only so they can't be moved or copied back to where they belong.

How can we reset the attributes so they can be copied or moved? I've tried a couple of programs from web but none seem to work as neither does Win Explorer.

Thanks,
RON C

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Files moved to system area by mistake
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Files moved to system area by mistake
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Try XCopy

Open a command prompt and try copying these files with the XCopy command.

Description of XCopy and the switches available - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289483 - might be useful for copying Read Only files.

Description of how to use the Command Prompt in XP - http://commandwindows.com/command2.htm

Hope that helps.

Any idea how this happened? And what folders were transferred across?

Mark

- Collapse -
Xcopy won't copy either

Tried both xcopy and xxcopy and both wouldn't copy the files. xcopy says Access denied and xxcopy says copy failed. I'm using xxcopy src des /M same for xxcopy.

Thanks,
RON C
- Collapse -
Answer
Just a few ideas.

1. Try XP TAKE OWNERSHIP on google.
2. Try SAFE MODE
3. Try both 1 and 2.
4. Boot a Linux Live CD (no install) and move it there. No Linux skill required.
Bob

CNET Forums