General discussion

Files missing from My Documents on 2nd HDD

I've just setup a new computer for my olds (winxp Pro, 160Gb SATA HDD, 1Gig RAM, SATA DVD Writer. I was planning to copy files from the old PC to an external drive and transfer to the new PC. In the meantime my father-inlaw tpulled the power cord on the old PC (Winxp Home OEM, 40GB HDD, 256Mb RAM) as it had frozen and wouldn't respond. Now the old machine won't even turn on. As I didn't have spare power supply to try I installed the old IDE drive as a slave thinking I could copy them across. I can see the old drive in My Computer and access it but when you look in My Documents there's only a My Pictures folder with nothing in it where there should be photos yet the Programmes folder has files in it. Why arent they missing too?The old drive has been renamed as the "E" drive. Is this why I can't see the files in My Documents because they would have saved under"C". The old drive still has XP Home installed in a hidden partition. Drive properties shows 33Gb of space with 23Gb available so something is using the space. I'd appreciate any help you can give, Cheers

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Files missing from My Documents on 2nd HDD
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Files missing from My Documents on 2nd HDD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Multiple user profiles

Every user defined will have their own "My Documents" folder. You'll need to look in the drive's root for "Documents and Settings" and see if you can find the right user. As well, if you know the file extension(s) used, you should be able to search the drive that way.

- Collapse -
Multiple user profiles

Many thanks for the reply. Ran out of time to try your suggestion before going to work. A mate lent me a power supply and as I'd already put the drive back in the old machine I thought I'd try it. Hey presto files all there. Maybe I wasn't looking properly in the first place but everything fine now. Thanks again.

CNET Forums