Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Files missing after system recovery

by Nahrex / February 24, 2006 3:43 AM PST

I had and umountable boot volume blue screen come up on my dell inspirion, so I ran the windows xp cd, and used chkdsk /r. When it was running at about 70% it jumped back down to 50% and then continued to finsh the recovery, it said several problems fixed.... so i assumed it worked, but the jump back to 50 must be caused by some error. Now I can run windows, but its like the computer has amnesia. All user icons are there, but none of the set pictures for them. So i clicked on mine, the start menu is empty, and when i run files the recent files aren't saved to the start menu. Ontop of that all files I had on my desktop are gone. Mydocuments is empty all of that. When I went to look for my files, all files saved in the c: drive are still there, in fact the c: drive used disk space is exactly the same size as it was before the unmountable boot volume error. Which leads me to believe that all the files I had saved on my desktop and in mydocuments are still somewhere on the hard drive. Its like all files connected to users on the computer have dissappeared and no files can be saved to the user accounts, but the user names are still there. What happened to my computer, and how do i fix it and can i get those files back. I also tried running chkdsk again and it did the same thing around 70% and dropped back down to 50% before it continued working.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Files missing after system recovery
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Files missing after system recovery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you can
by Themisive / February 24, 2006 3:54 AM PST

Start the chkdsk /r programme in the3 morning before you go oout to work, hopefully it should have finished when you get home.

What sort of AV do you use, and what Adware and Spyware programmes do you use? It would help a great deal if you could provide the info, so we are not just guessing blindly - see my profile to see what I mean.

Collapse -
by Nahrex / February 24, 2006 4:07 AM PST
In reply to: If you can

I've reran the chkdsk /r already. I watched it jump from 70 to 50 for no good reason. I use ad-aware and spybot.

Collapse -
The reason.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2006 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: reply

Is known to someone in Redmond. However, having seen that before I can tell you it's not unknown.

Bob

Collapse -
OK
by Themisive / February 24, 2006 4:16 AM PST
In reply to: reply

Now it seems to be time for more drastic measures. Have you tried the Windows Defrag? if you can, go into Safe Mode and try to start it, if it runs OK, leave it, but before you reboot, also run the spyware/adware checks.

Reboot, it should be OK now. If not, I would at this point seriously consider backing up my data (e-mails, irreplaceable data and the like) but not programmes - you'll see why later, re-load Windows, load the programmes and update the system when you have the anti-virus system back on.

NOW you can put the data back in place. You may have had some spyware or adware or worms, and the re-format will have cleaned those off the system.

Collapse -
ok
by Nahrex / February 24, 2006 4:20 AM PST
In reply to: OK

I'll try the defrag, but all of my files that were saved in mydocuments are missing. They are still on the computer somewhere because the hard drive space is still the same as it was before the boot problem. Do you have any ideas how to find these files so i can save them so I can reformat without lossing them?

Collapse -
Just try
by Themisive / February 24, 2006 5:00 AM PST
In reply to: ok

the whole of the suggestion, if you aboslutely have to, take out your hard drives and use another computer to back up the data, remember to put them back before you reload Windows and re-format.

Collapse -
Another Opinion
by danthelanman / February 24, 2006 6:25 AM PST
In reply to: Just try

I wouldn't run defrag. My reasoning is that you already know there are problems with this drive(found errors on 1st chkdsk) and running defrag may just compound your issue's as it re-sorts the drive. My approach would be to buy a new drive (again same reasoning as above). Replace current drive and start re-building your system. After that, Slave the old drive and see if you can find any of the missing files. My guess is you probably need to download/purchase disk recovery software and use it to attempt find lost files, but at least you'll have a working system and a new drive.

Good Luck.

Collapse -
Tell us EXACTLY what...
by Edward ODaniel / February 24, 2006 6:14 AM PST

you did because CHKDSK /R is not "Recovery" although you are using the word freely.

Chkdsk runs in 5 phases and it often happens that you will see lesser percentages after seeing a higher one--it refers to a specific phase.

What happens when you boot to the ADMINISTRATOR account? Do you see some of the program icons again?

It really sounds more like a profile issue (which you could check in the Documents and Settings directory and if necessary take ownership of things and move them from the profile they are in to the one you are using.

Collapse -
thats what i was leaning towards
by Nahrex / February 24, 2006 6:58 AM PST

at this point i don't think its a hardware issue. Like I said it's like the computer has amnesia, it has no "short term memory" on any programs that i run. My account is the administrator account, my start menu is blank how can i access the documents and settings going through exploxer to change ownership. I've tried all the accounts and they all have the same problem. Is it possible there is a file missing that applies ownership to the computer profiles and if so, how do i fix this. This is a laptop so i can't really slave the hd to another computer with what I have.

Collapse -
Tell us EXACTLY what...
by Edward ODaniel / February 24, 2006 6:15 AM PST

you did because CHKDSK /R is not ''Recovery'' although you are using the word freely.

Chkdsk runs in 5 phases and it often happens that you will see lesser percentages after seeing a higher one--it refers to a specific phase.

What happens when you boot to the ADMINISTRATOR account? Do you see some of the program icons again?

It really sounds more like a profile issue (which you could check in the Documents and Settings directory and if necessary take ownership of things and move them from the profile they are in to the one you are using.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.