Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.

by Mailman / July 22, 2005 3:19 AM PDT

I'm getting a new computer soon with XP Pro, and I'm trying to figure out how to transfer ''files and settings'' from my current XP Pro machine onto the new one.

In the XP Help file, it describes a serial transfer cable for the first method to do this. I have never heard of a serial transfer cable. Anyone know how to do this?

Also, what ''files and settings'' will this Wizard transfer?

Thanks,

~Dave

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Files and Settings Transfer
by Themisive / July 22, 2005 5:08 AM PDT

The cable is just a normal 36 pin serial cable (I do believe though that it could be possible on a 9 pin). All you do is use it to connect the 2 computers together, it transfers ALL your data, programmes and updates the registry for you.

I haven't heard of this on an XP Pro to XP Pro machine before, it's usually on something like 98SE to XP.

One thing, BEFORE you do the transfer, make sure that your disk (or disks)has been formatted NTFS.

Collapse -
Gotcha...
by Mailman / July 22, 2005 5:24 AM PDT

...thanks very much. I have NTFS. I'll mske sure the new HDD is also NTFS. Now I have to go find this cable.

Thanks again,

~Dave

Collapse -
Does anyone know...
by Mailman / July 22, 2005 5:59 AM PDT

....anything about using this program to transfer everything for you?

http://www.spearit.com/about_MoveMe.html

I've never heard of this thing, but then I've never been interested in moving files and settings to a new computer either.

Thanks,

~Dave

Collapse -
transferring files from old computer
by margiewv / July 23, 2005 12:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Does anyone know...

I use a USB transfer cable, very user friendly, plug and play. You should be able to get one at your local computer store.

Collapse -
Thank you...
by Mailman / July 23, 2005 1:28 AM PDT

..I have a parallel and a usb cable. Don't think I have a "serial" cable, though. I plan to try the USB first, then the parallel if something is wrong with that. My new computer is planned to be delivered Monday. Should be interesting as you know that something must go wrong with just about any method I use. That's not really a defeatist attitude. I've just been playing with computers long enough to know that only rarely do things go off without some kind of problem no one anticipated.

Thanks fot the input,

~Dave

Collapse -
re:
by Alan Copeland / July 23, 2005 2:03 AM PDT

Dave,

I pulled the HD from my old PC and since the new PC hard drive is SATA and the old IDE Iinstalled it in place of the CD drive on the new one so I could copy from HD to HD. I think this is probably the fastest method. It was also recommended that i set up a network between the two machines and use the ethernet conection to swap files. By the time you set up the network you could probably do the HD method I used.

Collapse -
You could be right...
by Mailman / July 23, 2005 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: re:

....so I'll add that technique to my list.

Thanks,

~Dave

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.