Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

file transfers on LAN

Hi,

I have recently bought a new laptop and connected it to my desktop computer with a crossover Ethernet cable. The desktop has another NIC which connects to a cable modem. I shared this internet connection using XP's internet connection sharing.

My first question is connected to this matter. I understand that I have to turn the desktop on to access the internet from the notebook, what concerns me is that the internet becomes available on the notebook only after browsing the web or checking the e-mail on the dekstop. Why is this happening? I use Windows XP on both computers and Sysgate Firewall on the desktop.

The second question is: how can I transfer large amount of data between the two computer using LAN? Because the laptop is new, I have to install a great amount of software and copy many documents from the desktop to the laptop. Sharing folders and drives would be the best solution?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: file transfers on LAN
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: file transfers on LAN
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: file transfers on LAN

In reply to: file transfers on LAN

1. " the internet becomes available on the notebook only after browsing the web or checking the e-mail on the dekstop. Why is this happening? "

You configured it to connect on demand. Go check your settings. I don't setup your setup anymore, but use a router so I don't know where the issue may be.

2. " how can I transfer large amount of data between the two computer using LAN? "

Since you have a network, sharing folders is typical. Sharing drives is just sharing the "root" of a drive letter in Windows and doesn't mean you share the drive. Hope you understand the subtle difference.

bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: file transfers on LAN

I understand... What do you suggest regarding LAN transfer?

Collapse -

You would enable file sharing. Remember that some firewalls disable file sharing in some versions, so you need to ask them about that.

Bob

Collapse -

Hi,

Ok, I have enabled file sharing. This step caused me much headache. I have tried to download a large 200 MB file to my laptop, but the speed was only 1,8 MB/s on a 100 Mbps connection. After several hours of cabling a NIC tests I discovered that my Sygate firewall slows down the connection. After disablng it, the speed was 9,9 MB/s which I consider normal for a 100 Mbps connection. I really like Sygate, but I have to replace it. Do the other firewalls slow down lan connections?

Collapse -
Now you know why I install a router.

I don't offer any guidance on software firewalls. Maybe the Security Forum here will have someone that will have some view on that?

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.