Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

file transfer pc to pc with crossover cable

by Shelliide / June 13, 2006 2:18 AM PDT

how do i transfer files from my old computer to the new computer with a crossover cable? Even with the cable, do you still need some kind of software?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: file transfer pc to pc with crossover cable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: file transfer pc to pc with crossover cable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No additional software needed
by SantiagoCrespo / June 13, 2006 4:19 AM PDT

The only things you will need are:
1. for the two computers to be in the same IP address range. (if one of the computers is connected to the Internet via Wireless or some other method not involving the Ethernet card, you can enable Internet Sharing, then both computers will MOST DEFINITELY have addresses within the same range. If that isn't the case, you must set both ethernet adapters to "obtain an IP address automatically", when neither of them is able to do it, they will revert to an ip address that starts with 169, then you'll have no trouble at all).

2. To know one of the computer's network name. (Right-click my computer, go to properties, then go to Computer Name, and there you'll find "Full Computer Name").

3. to have a shared folder with read access to "pull" the files from it. (right-click a folder or your HDD icon, go to properties, then to Sharing). You will want to disable the share after you finished transferring your files.

Collapse -
moving programs
by Shelliide / June 13, 2006 2:38 PM PDT

what about moving the programs over to the new computer. Is that done the same way?

Collapse -
Another option is FTP server software
by pratapan / June 13, 2006 3:25 PM PDT
In reply to: moving programs

The previous post is talking about using Microsoft file sharing.

One alternative is to load an FTP server on one PC. Then you can transfer files just using IP and FTP.

I have been using the 3Com server for years. (3CServer Ver117) It is free, small and easy to use. It was intended as a support tool for 3Com engineers to upgrade routers and switches which typically use FTP or TFTP.

It was never intended as a production FTP server. It also supports Syslog. Most home routers have the option to log events to a Syslog server but very few people go through the effort to set one up.

Collapse -
Unfortunately not
by SantiagoCrespo / June 13, 2006 9:45 PM PDT
In reply to: moving programs

You cannot just move programs from one PC to another. You will need the original installation files, CD-Keys, Serial numbers, the works.
Just go through your start menu and make a list of all the software you want to keep, and spend the next couple of days rummaging through your place looking for the CDs.

Collapse -
Trying to ftp between two computers via crossover
by yungplaya76 / July 23, 2010 2:57 AM PDT

I'm trying to ftp to my computer via crossover with no internet connection. I hooked the cable to both computers and started the ftp client and nothing happened. I dont really know what to put for the information for either computer to start the process.

Collapse -
While there ar plenty of web sites about this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2010 3:01 AM PDT

Why not use some memory stick or something simpler?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
Laptops 20,411 discussions
Security 30,882 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
Phones 16,494 discussions
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions


Samsung Galaxy S8's major makeover

This year's flagship phone gets a sexy new design and Bixby, a house-made digital assistant.