Storage forum

General discussion

File Transfer

I have a question about transfering files.

My computer is a few years old and it the internal HDD is small. I have a lot music, games and other stuff so I went out and bought a much larger external HDD for storage. Basically, everything works OK except everyone and a while when I try to transfer large files from my C-Drive to my extrenal F-drive something strange happens. For some reason, it seems like the transfer can be completed, and the F-drive seems to time out. Something about data transfer being to slow. This also has happened when I have tried to install some pretty larged sized game files onto my F-drive. Usually, when this happens it seems that I am almost always able to partially transfer/install the file and it is only near the very end (sometimes with only 20 seconds left) that things get hung up. No matter how many times I try it, the transfer/install always seems to get stuck at the same point.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get aroubnd this problem?

I am using XP with a 500Mhz Pentium III

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: File Transfer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: File Transfer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like hardware needs repair.

In reply to: File Transfer

Try the external drive on another machine.

If the connection is USB, look over http://www.usbmand.com

I only know what you put in your post, so this is all I can offer.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Sounds like hardware needs repair.

In reply to: Sounds like hardware needs repair.

Thanks for the reply.

What other information do you need?

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Sounds like hardware needs repair.

Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

Collapse -

Thanks for the "tip". It was nice of you to kindly point that out in such a non-arrogant sort of a way.

I guess that one of the reasons I have posted here is that this type of website is that it is really helpful to people like me who have no or at most very minimal knowledge about computer stuff. It's a chance for use to ask people with ton's of computer knowledge (like perhaps CNET moderators) questions about "stupid" questions without be told how "stupid"
we are. At least that has been my experience to date.

I tried to put as much information as I could about the problem I was having but obviously it wasn't enough. Sorry, for waisting time. I will try and be more careful in the future.

Collapse -
Unlike pay services

These forums are free and no one is paid.

It's up to the poster to put the effort needed and dig out the information. The tip is supplied with each post, but some need it as a direct reply.

Nothing in your last post revealed new clues or what hardware was found/used.

That leaves you to read about USB issues at http://www.usbman.com and take my tip to not accept drivers from Windows Update.

You are part of the team to solve your issue. If you want a place that you can demand service, find a pay site or service center.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Unlike pay services

In reply to: Unlike pay services

I realize this is a free service. And, I didn't say anything about demanding service. So, please do not imply that I did.

I guess I would have just been a little nicer and said somethng like "If you provide us with the following information blah, blah, blah then perhaps we can help you find a solution" or maybe something similiar.

I am sure that you answer countless number of posts each day and that it must get tiring to repeat the same thing over and over.

Different strokes for different folks.

Collapse -
Why not tell more?

In reply to: Re: Unlike pay services

I've looked at your posts again and no mention of make/model numbers, USB chipsets or such. You seem preoccupied with some other issue.

I'd like to help, but you have to supply clues.

Bob

Collapse -
This is the Answer!

In reply to: File Transfer

hey the problem is that if your computer is not, that new! You are probably having problems with your USB port. is not that your Port does not work. Probably it's not compartible with USB 2.0. Try upgrading your BIOS to make it compartible with USB 2.0

Collapse -
Re: This is the Answer!

In reply to: This is the Answer!

Thanks for the info.

My computer is over 5 years old so I was wondering about the BIOS.

I tried to find an update on the web but it seems that there aren't any for my particular motherboard.

basically, everything on my computer is pretty outdated so instead of putting more money into it, I am just going to buy a new one.

Thanks again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.