Linux forum

General discussion

File system problem

by sirsu22 / April 24, 2008 4:16 PM PDT

Hi,
I am in a big problem.I don't know what has happened but yesterday suddenly when I was trying to create a directory in /export/home I got this error

mkdir: cannot create directory `scripts': Read-only file system

from /var/log/messages I found that the partition /export/home has been remounted to "read-only" mode and here is the sample log entry
-----------
Apr 23 08:32:22 host1 kernel: ext3_abort called.
Apr 23 08:32:22 host1 kernel: EXT3-fs error (device /export/home): ext3_journal_start_sb: Detected aborted journal
Apr 23 08:32:22 host1 kernel: Remounting filesystem read-only
Apr 23 08:32:22 host1 kernel: EXT3-fs error (device /export/home) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted
Apr 23 08:32:22 host1 kernel: EXT3-fs error (device /export/home) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted
Apr 23 08:32:43 host1 kernel: cciss: cmd f70213e0 timedout
Apr 23 08:32:43 host1 kernel: printk: 83 messages suppressed.
Apr 23 08:32:43 host1 kernel: Buffer I/O error on device /export/home, logical block 102993
Apr 23 08:32:43 host1 kernel: lost page write due to I/O error on /export/home
--------------------------------
Could someone please explain as why this error surfaces and what should be the solution for this.

Please help me as soon as possible.Very Urgent.

Thanks,
Sir_com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: File system problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: File system problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
External mounting
by welrdelr / April 25, 2008 10:32 AM PDT
In reply to: File system problem

Have you tried mounting the system externally?

Other factors: Do you have two partitions- one as / and the other as swap- or multiple partitions- sda1-3, sda4 separated into sda5-x- on the disk?
If you have multiple partitions, you should be able to mount them from the command line as root.

Okay. First, you have created a directory that is not part of the standard linux-distro tree. Where did you create this? The partition that is?

Choose single user mode if you have it as part of your menu.
Type in the password of root and hit enter when it prompts you.
If you have multiple partitions, this will be relatively easy.
At the prompt, unmount /export- if it is a separate partition- with "umount /dev/path-of-export's-home-partition "
Now remount the partition with "mount -t ext3 -o rw /dev/export's-partition /mnt"
Exit out and let X come up.
Log in as the normal user and open a terminal. Type is "su" followed by the root password or "sudo su" if you have sudo installed. At the root prompt, type "konqueror" and let it open. Go to mount by navigating or by typing "/mnt" in the url bar. You can change read write permissions and access here by adding groups and users to the properties of the volume.
Redhat/fedora distributions allow you to login as root and adjust without su or sudo su.
Another method is to do a root login at a terminal and to type "chmod 0777 /dev/path-of-export's-partition" or use the chattr function. These methods will work if it is multi partition.

You may also have to run an e2fsck on the partition by unmounting it then using what flags you want to correct the problem.

Collapse -
Looks like a good fsck'ing is in order
by 3rdalbum / April 28, 2008 2:27 PM PDT

The "Journal has aborted" error message sounds like something has interrupted the writing of the filesystem journal. For safety, the filesystem would be remounted as read-only.

fsck <device-file>

That should do the trick as long as you know the device file for your drive. I think fsck can run when the filesystem is mounted read-only, as well (if not, you'll need to do it from a live CD).

Collapse -
No problem with file system
by chappejw / May 8, 2008 3:28 PM PDT

>Hi,
>I am in a big problem.I don't know what has happened but yesterday suddenly when >I was trying to create a directory in /export/home I got this error

>mkdir: cannot create directory `scripts': Read-only file system

Hi there,

If you are creating directories in other areas of the system other than your home directory, you must be root. Linux which is like Unix has file permissions and ownerships to allow for a very secure system.

To become root, or the "superuser"

type "su" at the command line
and enter the root password.

Do not continue to work as root after doing your root level task, but type "exit" to return to user level permissions. This is what gives Linux / Unix / Mac a huge security advantage over Windows where Windows users typically do everything as adminstrator or root. This means if anything/anyone malicious gets onto the system it would have permission to potentially delete or trash the system.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!