Question

File sharing help

I've had Win7 64-bit Home Premium on this laptop for almost 3 years. I've had a second computer with Win7 32-bit Home Premium in the house networked for two years.

Now I add a third, and I can't get file sharing to work. I can SEE files on that third computer from mine, but it won't let me move files to that computer from mine, and it won't let me save them! It says I don't have permission.

My userID on this computer is "Katie" and that computer also has a user account called "Katie." The folders in question DO have sharing set (by right clicking on them) so that "Katie" has read/write permission. Why don't have have write permission, then?

What am I missing?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: File sharing help
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: File sharing help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Check one more thing.

Do the account have write permission to the folder these files are in?

Remember that to create a file we are writing to the folder, not a file.
Bob

- Collapse -
Clarifying

According to that third computer, I have both read and write permissions for the entire My Documents folder and everything in it. But it's acting like I only have read permission.

- Collapse -
And there is no firewall issue?
- Collapse -
Replying

Two things:
1) Your comment "It appears you didn't check permissions as I asked" is unfounded and rude. I specifically said that I DID set permissions... exactly as the link you sent told me to. So why accuse me of not doing it?

I have it set so MY account has read/write, not Everyone... I do not want everyone on the network to have permissions, as that means one child can mess with another child's files.

2) Your point about the firewall is well taken. There is no external firewall on it, but it may be that Windows Firewall is stopping me from accessing the files. I had forgotten about that and its default settings. I'll go take a look at that. Thank you.

- Collapse -
You may be too sensitive.

I'll ignore that and try again.

Everyone in Windows Sharing is "Everyone with an account on this machine." Some folk don't know this and think it's anyone on the network. Again, in Windows Networking, anyone is not Everyone. The only exception is if you enable the Guest account.

There is this area where you connect to a network and Windows 7 asks you if this is a home, public and other network. For your setup I'd use the home network or you'll get read only issues.

I didn't attempt to write this to avoid bruising of anyone's feelings. I apologize for that but to avoid that I would have to not answer at all since it takes longer to craft a reply, then read it to see if anyone would take offense. This is not personal at all, we are trying to figure out why it fluked. You did fine, Microsoft is the bad company here. They didn't make this easy enough for those that didn't go to the classes, seminars and practiced.

Also, there are ARTIFICIAL barriers that MSFT installed such as no sharing on Windows 7 Starter, a file share limit of 5 on some versions and more. If anyone gets upset as we go over all this, they only need to step back and see what a mess this is.
Bob

- Collapse -
Fixed.

I'll smile. I wasn't offended, I just thought it remarkable that instead of asking questions about the permissions I told you I'd set, you said I ignored your request and didn't even check it.

Anyway.....

Windows 7 does not let you create permissions for Everybody. (It looks different in slight ways from that link, of course.) It also would not let me give Read/Write permissions to the Homegroup.

I did go digging around, though, and tried giving permissions on the User folder, rather than the My Documents folder... and that worked. Must be some finicky something about the My Documents folder itself, I guess.

Thanks for your help!

- Collapse -
Why that works.

There is a nutty (?) thing about inherited permissions. If the Homegroup starts from the User folder (it does from what I see) then any permission that's off there radiates out and causes issues.

Glad you found it.
Bob

CNET Forums