Windows Vista forum

General discussion

File Sharing between XP and Vista.

by shaferain / March 1, 2007 6:19 PM PST

I have a desktop with WinXP Pro and a laptop with WinVista Home Premium, and I don't know the reason that these two computers cannot see each other within the same group. First, I tried to install Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) update in WinXP Pro. And it worked somehow to make the desktop appeared in the 'Net Map' of WinVista. However, the desktop is still invisible to the net group. The network in my home is pretty simple. These two computers connect to the internet through the same hub. I also enabled all kinds of settings related to file sharing in the firewall, so none of the network connections of the file sharing will be blocked. So I totally have no idea what I can do now to make it work! Let me list all the protocols installed in these two computers.......and........somebody helps me, please!!!

WinXP Pro:
Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
QoS Packet Scheduler
Link Layer Topology Discovery Responder
NWLink NetBIOS
NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol
NetBEUI Protocol
Network Monitor Driver
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

WinVista:
Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
QoS Packet Scheduler
Internet Protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
Link Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver
Link Layer Topology Discovery Responder

P.S: I'd already uninstalled Norton Security blahblahblah in WinVista as a previous thread said, but it still doesn't work. Thank you guys!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: File Sharing between XP and Vista.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: File Sharing between XP and Vista.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Having Same Problem Networking XP and Vista Puters
by mreaglewon / March 1, 2007 10:53 PM PST

I am going to track this thread.

I originally had my home network set up with a XP and Win98. I just bought this Hp with Windows Vista Home Premium. I replaced the Win98 puter with the new Hp and can't get the XP to network with the Vista.

I checked all the settings and Network name (WORKGROUP) on both puters according to the Vista troubleshooter.

I am going to try and eliminate Norton on the Vista Puter and see if that works for me.

I hope someone answers this problem.

Collapse -
Having Same Problem (cont'd)
by feverish30 / March 19, 2007 2:34 PM PDT

This is why
This is why
This is why

Thia is why Vista sucks

This is why
This is why

Thanks Bill, can I change my toolbar colour from sick Grey to something _I_ prefer? No?

No IPX support from Novell so no file sharing, and surprised to see there is no Internet community fix out there... Sad

I tried modifying my HOSTS file but no luck as of yet.

Collapse -
it's not bill's fault
by Suros9000 / July 19, 2007 10:33 AM PDT

many hp computers come standard with norton internet security preloaded into them. i know because i own one myself and had this problem. later i found out that by using the windows firewall rather than the other i was allowed full access to even a win98 pc. it would be more helpful to the community if you backed up your insults with some actual information and had some experience with the problem. if you want to complain then go to symantec and ask for file sharing support in a later edition of their software. hopefully this helped anyone looking for a real answer.

Collapse -
VISTA LAN
by jefflarson / May 18, 2008 5:28 AM PDT

THE ONLY WAY I FOUND TO GET AROUND THE PROBLEM OF GETTING FILES OUT OF A VISTA COMP AND INTO A WIN98SE COMP "FROM THE WIN98 COMP"

OK READY FOR THIS
"TAKE PASSWORD OUT OF WIN98 MACHINE" this allows vista to access files on win 98 comp ok you got one way access
"INSTALL TIGHT VNC BOTH COMPUTERS"
"START VNC SERVER IN VISA AS A SERVICE"
"START VNC VIEWER IN 98 COMP PUT IN IP OF VISTA COMP"
"USE REMOTE DESKTOP OF VISTA TO FIND ,COPY AND PASTE TO OR FROM WIN 98 COMP "FROM WIN98 COMP"

AS FAR AS VISTA ACCESSING XP PRO SP1 SP2 SP3 COMPS ON MY NETWORK
OR VISA VERSA NO PROBLEM AT ALL IT JUST WORKS WITH DEFAULT SETTINGS
AND FIREWALLS UP

THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAD WAS ACCESSING VISTA COMP FROM WIN98 COMP AND I TRIED EVERY THING I COULD FIND ON INTERNET TO FIX THIS PROBLEM
AND JUST MADE MATTERS WORSE THEN I GOT AN IDEA OF MY OWN
IV BEN USING "TIGHT VNC FREEWARE" ON MY MACHINES FOR YEARS AND IT GAVE ME A WORK AROUND FOR THIS AUTHENTIFICATION PROBLEM WITH VISTA
ITS A LITTLE KLUNKEY BUT IT WORKS!

UNTILL MS WAKES UP TO THE FACT THERE ARE DIE HARD WIN98 USERS OUT HERE AND EVEN WIN95 WIN3.1 MAKES VISTA BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE WITH OLDER OSES

I RECOMEND NOT BUYING VISTA
IF I COULD TAKE MY COPY BACK TO THE STORE I WOULD
AND REPACE IT WITH TRIED AND TRUE XP PRO
WHY IS IT THAT AS SOON AS MS GETS SOMTHING RIGHT THAY WANT TO REPLACE IT WITH SOMTHING THAT DONT WORK RIGHT?!?!!
AS FAR AS IM CONSERNED "VISTA IS STILL BETA IN MY BOOK"

JEFF INCD1

Collapse -
Make Vista use XP networking
by wfranklin20954 / May 18, 2008 7:44 AM PDT
In reply to: VISTA LAN
Collapse -
Thank you for help. Could you help explain the following?
by schwartz57 / September 12, 2009 1:16 PM PDT

Hello,

Thanks for helping with this problem.

I'm not sure how to perform the following on the link"

"Open the registry editor. Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa.

There will be a value called LmCompatibilityLevel. Set that to DWORD 1. Reboot and try ..."

Collapse -
answer
by corz3376 / September 17, 2009 2:18 AM PDT

hold the windows key on your keyboard and press r then a dialog box will come up in the bottom left hand corner of the screen in the box type regedit then copy this HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa. hold ctrl and press f then paste it in the box and click find next then do the rest

Collapse -
vista to xp networking
by mpfliltiger / October 21, 2007 11:01 AM PDT

FIRST OFF TURN OFF FIREWALL THEN DISABLE YOUR NIC FOR 30SEC THEN TURN IT BACK ON THIS SHOULD WORK JUST FINE DO THE SAME TO VISTA PC MAKE SURE THAT THE FIREWALL (S) ARE OFF.

Collapse -
Disable IPv6 and LLTD stuff
by thatguyjason / March 22, 2007 3:05 AM PDT

I might suggest disabling TCP/IPv6 and the Link Layer Transport protocols/services on the Vista machine. I don't know why but I've seen that cause problems with mounting file shares.
-Jason

Collapse -
There are a lot of good answers at the following website
by FpLiOnYkD / March 22, 2007 3:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
Same problem
by sretep66 / March 22, 2007 10:23 AM PDT

I have the same problem. I just bought a new Gateway Laptop running Vista, and I am unable to access my shared folders or the printer on my main home computer running XP.

I tried all of the hints on the Microsoft URL listed in an earlier reply, but they haven't helped. (Most of them I had already done, except for ensuring that the correct ports were left open on my MacAfee firewall....)

Any other assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Collapse -
Simple Solution
by feverish30 / March 22, 2007 12:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

I installed XP on a different partition on the hard drive. When Vista gets better I will go back to it, til then, I'm using XP. This solved my file sharing problem!

Collapse -
vista networking well and truly sucks
by jb53 / March 22, 2007 1:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Simple Solution

well, I got 2 new nearly identical laptops for myself and my wife, they both have vista and it is really really dissappointing. First off I am a linux user at home and a win2k user at work and my wife and kids have had umpteen win2k machines. I guess you could say that I am pretty used to configuring win2k, never have tried XP, but now I have these new machines and this OS is ridiculous. I am using a LAN cable and a wireless cable, that really seems to mess with Vista, everytime I open the network sharing center it rediscovers multiple networks and decides they all need to be public, no matter how many times I set them to private, merge them, delete and recreate them etc.. everytime I open up the nework and sharing center it acts as if it just woke up for the very first time and is out conquering new potentially dangerous devices in my house. ***. I wanted to connect to a fairly new printer connected to a win2k machine and it can not find the drivers, I go to the manufacturer's site and they don't have drivers because they are bundled into vista, but ..... if I go to my linux machine and ask it to connect to the win2k machine on behalf of vista it can establish the correct connection with the vista driver database on the vista machine so I can load the drivers and print through the linux machine to the win2k machine that actually serves the printer. So with this new albeit strange solution I was thinking I could get my wife's new machine also on the printer but you see she has vista premium whereas I have vista ultimate, in ultimate you can adjust the local policy to allow the stupid vista machine to accept the samba networking protocol, but this is not an option on vista premium. apparently premium isn't really so premium, I wan't to strangle somebody, I should have bought my wife a mac .....

Does anyone know if microsoft will let you downtrade to XP ??

Collapse -
It's not Microsoft's call...
by John.Wilkinson / March 23, 2007 3:10 AM PDT

Since Windows Vista was preinstalled on the new computers, the decision must be made by the manufacturer, who assumed all responsibility for technical and customer support under their licensing agreement. Thus, Microsoft is not able to help you in this case. As to the manufacturer, most are refusing to grant such downgrades. You could try calling their 1-800 number and ask, but chances are if you don't want Vista you'll have to purchase the OS you do want (or just use a free Linux distro) and overwrite Vista with it. If you need help with the latter just ask.

John

Collapse -
Finally!
by feverish30 / March 23, 2007 4:37 AM PDT

I have completed installing XP on my new notebook with all my favorite apps and I must say I am very very very very happy with it!

I think Microsoft totally dropped the ball on Vista, from the Start menu, to the Aero Interface, the only thing cool are the gadgets, and from what I read on Microsoft's own forum you can get those to work with XP.

The Start menu makes no sense to me. Actually not much makes any sense. They took a working functional operating system and turned it into an operating system that is no longer functional.

Also - anyone having a problem trying to get it to Dual boot Windows XP I have the solution for that - make sure both your drive letters say C: -- another problem they didn't make Vista aware of dual booting so you have to download an application to make that work... can u say, silly?

MD

Collapse -
No application is necessary...
by John.Wilkinson / March 23, 2007 6:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Finally!

Vista does indeed natively support dual-booting, and includes a new boot manager to facilitate such, so the addition of a third-party application is not necessary. Vista does, however, need to be installed after the previous version of Windows to prevent Vista from becoming unbootable. It was a similar problem with XP, though.

John

Collapse -
Help with going back to XP on new HP?
by dillonhunt / April 25, 2007 7:28 AM PDT

This operating system makes me cry...not a good thing. I do own an OEM Windows Media Center 2005 and an XP Home 2002. Is it true I can just overwrite with XP? What about all the software/data I have (painstakingly and with even MORE tears) loaded onto this new machine? Does all that go away and I have to do it all again? I'm a semiretired lawyer - NOT a techie...this is awful!

Collapse -
It's Been Discussed Elsewhere..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 25, 2007 8:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
Win XP
by Rohn1234 / March 23, 2007 12:12 PM PDT

You need to download the LTDD and install on XP. This should work in both directions. Be sure to have the same group name and you might try rebooting and do the the share on each computer. One would this this would be part of Windows updates but duh no..thanks Microsoft.

Collapse -
networking XP and Vista
by 321Chris123 / March 23, 2007 8:35 PM PDT

Hi
I'm running three computers two are on a wireless networking system.All running OK and no problems, they are both running XP, Laptop and a desk top, both on Norton System Works.But I would like to know if the third computer which is running Vista can Network with the other two computers and also will the Norton still protect the one running Vista when I go on the Internet. The main computer is the desktop and it is running XP, the network system is Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Router DG834G v3.
Chris Ryalls

Collapse -
I would wager- NO
by tcantrelln / May 29, 2007 8:38 PM PDT

I don't think there is a day in the last two weeks that I haven's checked this forum trying to figure Vista Networking out. One of the bosses is tired of me saying he can't be connected until he sends his new Dell back- period- or lets me nuke and pave it back to XP. The best it has ever done is the 'Reduced connectivity' icon on the XP machine. and they could see each other for one afternoon, next day after reboots, not a glimmer of each other. I've put it straight up- no more time wasted on this-if you have to move something-thumbdrive, or forget it.

Collapse -
XP and VISTA file Sharing!!!
by heartcoresean / June 2, 2007 2:28 AM PDT

ok so i bought a Vista home laptop which is an ACER laptop. wireless!
and recently i bought a XP home Computer PC.
they are both on the internet, my laptop is running wireless to my router, and my PC is plugged from the ethernet fron my vista laptop to my XP pc. they both work fine on internet side of things, i've enabled all files to be shared and enabled sharing on my network and securtiy, yet i still cant get file sharing, my workgroups is "HOME" and the are both on it. my Pc's name is "PC" and my laptop's name is "LAPTOP" << Original huh!! but i cant access file sharing, i want to liek access my vista fiels from my XP PC. becuase i have **** loads of music on my vista and want to access it from my PC...

any help????

please

x

Collapse -
Well, Have You??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 2, 2007 4:55 AM PDT

..tried all the suggestions in this thread?

Installed LLTD on the XP machine? (Vista "finds" the XP computer better when it's installed.)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120/en-us

Made sure that identical usernames with identical passwords are on both computers and that particular user has admin privileges on both machines?

Enabled/CHECKED "File and Printer Sharing" on both computers in the "Control Panel/Network Connections" section?

Made sure that such sharing is allowed through your firewall? (On the Windows Firewall, there should be an "Exception" for "File and Printer Sharing" which is CHECKED.)

Shared out all the files correctly? (Usually it's easiest if you start by sharing the entire C drive first which gives all the correct permissions, then add printers and maybe a specific shared folder on the C drive..Once that's done, since the entire C drive isn't really safe to share entirely, UNshare the C drive.. After that's done, the printer and individual shared folder should remain.)

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
XP and Vista Networking
by sretep66 / June 3, 2007 6:00 AM PDT

I had the same problem.

1. Make sure you are on the same workgroup. Vista and XP default to different workgroup names if you use the wizards to set up your home network.

2. Download and install microsoft LLTD protocol for XP. This will allow the Vista laptop to discover the XP machine on your network.

3. Vista and XP default to different network authentication settings in microsoft NTLM protocol. I changed my NTLM registry setting in Vista to 1. There is a link somewhere on this forum for how to do that, or you can find instructions by googling.

4. You need to ensure that your Vista home wireless network is set to private. (Default setting is public.) Sounds counter-intuitive, but you need to be on a private wireless network to share the public folders on your Vista laptop.

5. Ensure that you open up ports on your firewalls on both computers for file and printer sharing.

6. Once all this is done, then mount the XP shared directory as a network drive on your Vista laptop.

//WORKGROUPNAME/XPCOMPUTERNAME/SharedDocs

Good luck.

Collapse -
The solution
by Shantzy / December 11, 2007 8:05 AM PST
Collapse -
XP and Vista Networking Sharing
by barrycj / December 30, 2007 4:42 AM PST

Duplicate the previous post and that's exactly where I am.
I have spent three days trying to get my new Acer5920G to file share with my network which has one XP machine and one Win98SE machine currently running. I can access the internet through my wireless connection to a Speedtouch router which is hardwired to the older machines. I can see all machines on the Vista laptop and all machines appear in the network view in Vista. The Vista machine can share files with the Win98SE and the XP can share with Win98SE.
Firewalls make no difference on the XP and Vista.
Netbios over TCP/IP is applied to the Vista machine.
Both machines have administrator accounts in the same name and with the same passwords.
The XP machine can get files from the Vista machine, but the Vista machine can only see the filenames in the XP machine, but when access is attempted to a shared file/folder the connection fails after a 30 second delay.
Anyone got any ideas - I am running out of matchsticks for my eyes!

Collapse -
And here it works fine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2007 5:54 AM PST

From 98se, 2000, XP and Vista no less.

I've not going to write about accounts, that little item about creating shares AFTER the accounts are right and ask you try NETWORK MAGIC.

Bob

Collapse -
NetWork Magic !
by barrycj / December 30, 2007 8:54 AM PST

Well that's another 2 hours or so - still no better off.
Installed Network Magic on 3 machines Vista, XP and 98SE and NM says in status window that all 3 are running and connected and all is fine and yet on shared folders screen it says (depending on which machine you are looking at) that one or more of the others are offline!
(No firewalls running by the way)
File access is pretty much the same as without NM - just more help files to look at and another forum where people all seem to be having the same problems.
Nothing very Magic so far about Network Magic that I can find. It also recommends "locking" the wireless side of the router which (as I had already discovered manually) stops all wireless connectivity.
My router is a Speedtouch, - Vista laptop is Acer5920 wireless, 98SE Intel Desktop is wired as is XP Athlon Desktop.
Any more good ideas anyone?

Collapse -
What works for me, sort of
by wfranklin20954 / March 24, 2007 1:32 AM PDT

I've stumbled thru this, and got Vista & XP to file share, sort of. Not as good as XP-to-XP or XP-to-Linux, but it works after a fashion.

The major incompatibility I've run across is that Vista will NOT do peer-to-peer (home) networking with either XP/2000 machines or Linux Samba servers without major retuning, which is *totally* undocumented in the Vista help files or (that I've found) in the MS forums.

By default, Vista uses a different version of the networking protocol (NTVLM2) that the other operating systems (NTVLM1), and requires that the Link-Layer Topology Discover Protocol (LLTD) be installed on *every* non-Vista machine. Additionally, there is some evidence that suggests that one must turn the Guest account and UPNP both ON, which is the exact opposite of what is recommended to secure XP/2000 machines.

By Googling, you can find how to switch XP to NTVLM2, or switch Vista to NTVLM1. It's just Windows settings either way, and natively supported in XP and (I think) Win 2000. I switched Vista to NTVLM1, so that my Linux Samba server would also work from Vista.

However, after you do all that, you can mount XP shares in Vista by name, i.e., if know that your XP machine FRED has a share named SAM, in Vista you can browse to //FRED/SAM, assign a drive letter, etc. (I would assume that you can do the reverse [use Vista share on XP], but I never tested that.) I never got the Vista equivalent of Network Neighborhood browsing to work, though.

Good luck!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!