Question

File sharing between Windows XP Pro pc and a Mac

I run Quickbooks on my Windows XP Pro pc and need to share the company file with a remote Mac. I've gone in circles trying to set them both up. Please can someone give me a clear step-by-step solution? Thanks for being here : )

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: File sharing between Windows XP Pro pc and a Mac
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: File sharing between Windows XP Pro pc and a Mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Re: file sharing

- What exactly do you mean with "file sharing" in this case?
- What does the company IT staff say about it?

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
How I solved this.

We installed a second PC (in this case it was a cheap netbook) on the network and then installed a version of VNC (there are many versions and I will not pick which one you like.)

With that up and running they were able to VNC into that machine from the remote Mac and get it done. There are other benefits to this solution but this is a quick answer so I'll stop here.

Any beginner IT staffer can do this.
Bob

- Collapse -
No IT staffer

Thanks for your suggestion.

I'm just a mom trying to help her daughter set up her new non-profit small business bookkeeping system. I have QB Pro installed on my Windows XP pc and will be doing most of the work from here.

I would like to install QB on my duaghter's Mac laptop (using a wifi connection from her business), using the company file I've set up on my pc, so she can do some of the work, like entering receipts directly, etc. at her location. I would then have access to the updated company file on my pc.

I would prefer that she not have to use my desktop and QB program to do this because I would not be able to use my pc while she had remote access.

Otherwise I would have to take her paper records, bring them here and enter them all myself.

I've been told it can be done but I can't figure out, from the Intuit instructions, how to set both computers up to obtain access to a shared file.

CNET Forums