Windows Vista forum

General discussion

File sharing between Vist and XP

by beejay49 / December 13, 2008 2:44 AM PST

Hi I am new to cnet so I apologise if my problem has been answered before. I have looked at other posts but cannot see my problem.
I have just bought a new laptop running Vista and have an existing desktop running XP connected to a speedtouch wireless modem via its network connection. Both machines access the internet with no problem. I have made the network name WORKGROUP on both machines and the Vista machine can see the XP one, it can also see all the folders and files that I have set up for sharing on the XP
BUT
when I try to open a folder or file on the XP from the Vista one I get a message as follows:
"\\Pent1\<folder name> is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact ........etc
Not enough server storage is available to process this command "
Pent1 is the name of the XP computer.
Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause of the problem - I was wondering about the last sentence of the message concerning storage.
I will be grateful for any help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: File sharing between Vist and XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: File sharing between Vist and XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's fairly deep but here goes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2008 4:49 AM PST

1. Install the LLTD responder we note in our networking forum. Or just google the word LLTD

2. Now that that's working, the second step is to have an account on the machine you want to connect to. So if you are SAM then SAM on the Vista machine trying to connect to the XP machine must have an account on the XP machine.

I'll not write about firewalls.
Bob

Collapse -
It now works - Vista to XP
by beejay49 / December 13, 2008 9:46 PM PST

Hi Bob
I have installed the XP Service pack 3 and I can now access files on my XP machine from my laptop.
Thanks very much for your help - no doubt I will be asking other questions in the future.
regards
Brian

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!