HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

File Search "look in" list truncated & Browse... Missing

by nkl0h3 / March 13, 2007 5:09 PM PDT

I'm running XP Pro in a Workgroup (4 PC's) environment. The problem I'm having is only occuring only on one of the systems. When doing a File search, the "look in" drop down list is truncated and the Browse... option is missing. I know this hasn't always been the case, but to be honest, I can't really say when it started happening because I think the first couple of times I noticed it, I just did a work around. But now, it is becoming an issue because I can't Browse to look for files on other systems. Any clues? Thanks much.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: File Search "look in" list truncated & Browse... Missing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: File Search "look in" list truncated & Browse... Missing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Leave it to me...
by nkl0h3 / March 14, 2007 5:40 PM PDT

Leave it to me to find glitches that only I seem to encounter. Yep, must be me. I've tried everything I can think of... including scouring the help and support pages, technet, various forums and chat rooms, and even my old text books - nada. UNCLE! I give up. Finally, chalked it up to a corrupt profile and created a new one. All has been well since. But still, stuff like that BUGS me. *sigh*

Until next time...

Collapse -
Ouch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2007 11:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Leave it to me...

One of my remaining complaints of NT/2000/XP is the lack of tools to examine or fix a corrupt profile. While is plenty of writings about this there are no repair tools. The Microsoft advice is to create a new account and move the user's files over. That does work but some equate this to getting a new car when yours breaks. Oh, they do that too. When the OS gets too broken, you wipe and reinstall...

Bob

Collapse -
Yeppers!
by nkl0h3 / March 15, 2007 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Ouch.

Been there, done that too... too many times. It does get frustrating having to take such drastic measures just to fix what only starts out as a minor annoyance. And still, I'm convinced, it's still the only REAL way to get rid of that Spyware crap. Jeeez, don't those people have something better to do? Regardless, I'm still not in any hurry to jump to Vista. I figure I'll give it at least another 6 months or so, let Microsoft and the third party vendors get the compatibility issues sorted out. I must say CHEERS though, to those brave enough to tread those murky waters. It's certainly not a headache I need at the moment, not to mention the cost of upgrading hardware, (and software... jeesh, $300 or so just for the upgrade edition? Bill, I think you have enough money!) or more than likely, buying new systems. I almost get ill thinking about all the money I've spent on systems in the last 5 years, only to have them be pretty much obsolete the second I walk out the door. That's progress for ya. Okay, stepping off the soapbox now.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.