Computer Help forum

General discussion

File recovery, specific files

I had to reformat my computer recently, and so I lost many files. I tried Pandora to retrieve files, but it only has select file types that it searches for. File types that I want are:

.htm, .html - probably used for other programs, but I mainly want firefox files back, such as bookmarks

.rar - similar to .zip

.deh, .bex - 'dehacked' additions to playing classic doom

.pdf - adobe acrobat

.bak, .proc, .cm, .map, .script - map information for doom 3 maps

.txt - notepad

My system:

C521 Dell, Windows XP
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual
Core Processor 3800+
2.00 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

Does anyone know of any programs that can retrieve at least some of those kinds of files? Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: File recovery, specific files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: File recovery, specific files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
retrieve at least some of those kinds of files

In reply to: File recovery, specific files

After a format, nope. A normal delete would be easy. After formatting all data is destroyed.

There are programs and companies that will do this but the cost is usually prohibitive. Lesson learned: back up.

Collapse -
Yes

In reply to: retrieve at least some of those kinds of files

Actually, Pandora works fine. My computer was formatted, Pandora found .jpg's, .zip's, .doc's, .exe's, etc... Pandora actually found files from before the format. And, Pandora is FREE.
However, Pandora won't find the files that I still particularly want. So, I was asking if anyone was aware of programs that can retrieve files of the kinds that I still want. Pandora is great, but doesn't support file types that I still want.
There are many other free programs out there, and I am going through them, but I'm doing everything I can - including typing help here for a possible shortcut, so I don't have to take days trying different programs myself - to retrieve those files.

Collapse -
Is there a way to set up a file filter?

In reply to: Yes

I've never used Pandora but isn't there a way to set up a filter to search for the files with the extensions you want? You know, like with a regular file search where you use a wildcard like *.pdf to look for PDF documents, for instance. Just wondering...

Collapse -
Since Pandora "works fine" then you ...

In reply to: Yes

si9mply need to set it to look for the extensions you want.

Pandora has a "Wizard" to assist you and you can access the Wizard by clicking on the wizard icon in the program toolbar.

You may be expecting the PREVIEW of the files you want but the preview is only available for images and text files. lack of a preview doews not hinder Pandora's ability to recover any of the files it finds with the exception of those that have portions overwritten.

Since you have tried it I suppose you have read this page -
http://www.pandorarecovery.com/features/#Recover_Types

Collapse -
Whoops, let me be clear...

In reply to: Since Pandora "works fine" then you ...

"Works fine", as in the following manner: almost every other 'recovery' program I've tried so far either doesn't seem to work, does run but I can't make sense out of it, or said programs recover only files deleted from recycling bin.
Pandora has found files lost due to the format, and in an easy-to-use gui (I guess it's called). And 'files lost due to the format' can only be found in the deep scan, which is what I need.
However, as expressed in Pandora's help, some places in the gui, and in an email reply from the makers of this program, Pandora can only deep-scan for specific file types, which exclude those that I still need.
I need a deep scan that can find file types that I still want, which I can maybe find in some other recovery program.

Collapse -
Yes, and as the user manual says ...

In reply to: Whoops, let me be clear...

(and also the Wizard) the "deep scan" is actually a surface scan that does not rely on the MFT (remember that Pandora is only functional on NTFS partitions) but on the characteristics of the file itself. If any of your deleted files are on non-NTFS partitions try Restoration by Brian Kato which you can find here (handy as it can be extracted to a floppy so it doesn't overwrite anything):
http://www.chipmunk.cwc.net/restore.html

The Wizard that shows the supported file types for the surface scan also specifically mentions that if the specific file type you need is not listed that the Browse and Search methods are used because they are file type independant and can detect and recover files of any type.

Have you taken advantage of the two specific recovery methods mentioned, because if the file is on the drive it will be found.

It is important to note that as with ALL file recovery software if the file index cannot be read only contiguous files will be recovered (fragmented files will only be partially recovered) so you NEVER want to install anything onto the drive and you also restore recovered files to a DIFFERENT drive (or other type storage media) to prevent overwriting.

Read through the user manual and pay special attention to chapter 3 -
http://www.pandorarecovery.com/doc/PandoraRecovery_HelpSystem.pdf
or online
http://www.pandorarecovery.com/doc/user_manual/#_Toc167694887

Collapse -
I am confused...

In reply to: Yes, and as the user manual says ...

but the only thing that makes sense to me, is that deep scan finds files that browse nor search are capable of finding. And those files are files that have been lost due to a format. As I use all three scanning methods, repeatedly, this seems to be confirmed each time. I don't understand how 'Browse' nor 'Search' can find formatted files. I need formatted files. Now, I understand that 'Deep Scan' can find formatted files, but it doesn't find all (formatted) files I know are still on the disk.
I know there are still files on the hard disk, b/c I found another program recently, called 'Disk investigator'. However, I have very few clues how to use it... it doesn't seem to be as user friendly as Pandora or many other recovery programs (others which I still have no luck with), and I was informed that di is not specialized in file recovery anyways, despite having 'surface scanning' abilities.
My whole point is, I need to be aware of a program that can run deep scans, and is able to pick up files regardless of type. Pandora's Browse and Search are file-type ind., but its deep scan doesn't seem to be, so I'm still unconvinced Pandora can find my other missing files.

Collapse -
Quick format?

In reply to: retrieve at least some of those kinds of files

I'm guessing that the original poster did a quick format as opposed to a full format since he was still able to retrieve some files using his file recovery utility. I believe that a quick format only writes over the file allocation table (or whatever it's called) whereas a full format writes over the entire disk. Can someone shed any light on this?

Collapse -
try other products

In reply to: File recovery, specific files

Try DATA RECOVERY WIZARD, which is easy to use. You also could preview and search the files. But it is not free.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.