Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

file errors

My dictionary program has acted up when shutting down, giving the notation "an error has occurred in your application". Boxes saying ignore or cancel are there and no matter which oneis clicked, the same wording shows up "dicitiniry caused a general protection fault in module dictiniry.exe 003:2B45.
I have been told to i uninstall the Webster New World Dictionary (Zane Publishing) and re install it but when i try that i get "uninstall exe has encountered a problem and needs to be closed" etc
The dictionary does seem to be uninstalled tho because whn i click on the desktop icon i get " file error. Cannot find WDHook.DLL
and another box that says Can't run 16 bit windows [program and Cannot find file C:\recycle\etc etc
any suggestions at all>>> i seem to be able to use the dictionary when i insert the CD..
thanks for any suggestions....miller

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: file errors
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: file errors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: file errors

In reply to: file errors

Mil,

Have you tried reinstalling the program, then uninstalling again? Frequently, reinstalling "over the top" of the first one will place the correct uninstalling files back on the computer.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: file errors

In reply to: Re: file errors

Hi: since my original message i have uninstalled two spyware type programs ( Pest Patrol and Zone Alarm) which i had just installed a few days ago. After uninstalling those two programs i was able to reinstall my dictionary program YET when exiting the dictionary program i still get the application error...telling me "an error has occurred in your application. If you choose Ignore you should save your work in a new file. If you choose Close, your application will terminate.
No matter which option i choose, i get a second application error box, telling me that Dictinry caused a general protection fault in module Dictinry.Exe at 0003:2B45. Choose Close (which is the lone option) and Dictinry will close.... and it does.
I have sent a question to Dell and i have been told i should back up every file and uninstall and then reinstall my operating system etc etc.
Ouch..............not sure i can do that...although i was referred to a self help page.
Mil

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.