HolidayBuyer's Guide

Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

File doesn't look the same as on screen when printed

by deena.sk / October 8, 2009 3:12 PM PDT

I"m using InDesign CS4. I created the artwork and everything looks fine on screen in Indesign and PDF. But when I print its different, like I have a square and logo on the artwork, the square is not a square its longer in height and the logo is being stretch. I had send this file to the printers and it prints the same as when I print. BUT my other colleague had printed it its fine. Can anyone please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: File doesn't look the same as on screen when printed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: File doesn't look the same as on screen when printed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
what to do
by Porch-a-Geese / October 9, 2009 6:43 PM PDT

Ask your colleague for help, don't be proud.

Collapse -
Aspect ratios
by ChuckT / October 10, 2009 5:30 AM PDT

The H&V (Horizontal and Vertical) proportions must be the same between the screen and the hardcopy, but in your case it does not sound like it is. I suspect that your printer may be set up for printing something other than typical letter (8.5x11) size. Perhaps your page setup is for metric sizes.

Somewhere along the line, your aspect ratios do not agree between the screen and the printer. It might even be the wrong printer driver, or maybe you just need to update to a new printer driver.

There is even a possibility that the software you are using is throwing the ratios off. If you tell us what you are using, perhaps someone here can give you a more insightful clue.

Collapse -
Indesign CS4
by deena.sk / October 11, 2009 8:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Aspect ratios

Thank you for the explanation. I am using InDesign CS4. When the file is being exported to pdf, I get a warning that says "The preset specifies that some fonts are not embedded. This application always embeds fonts. What does that mean? I have only started using Indesign and in the company I'm the only one whom is using this sw.
Please advise.

Collapse -
The font warning is NOT your problem
by ChuckT / October 11, 2009 6:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Indesign CS4

The font warning is only regarding the characters being printed. It has nothing to do with your aspect ratio of either display or printing.

But to help in your understanding ... A PDF file can include the fonts to ensure that the printed output matches the display where you had created the file. If the fonts are common and typically used elsewhere, then you can keep the size of the file down by not including the fonts. But to ensure that the printing exactly matches display it is better to include the fonts in the file. Whether the fonts are included, or not, does not affect your printing H&V dimensions.

Collapse -
Logo is still stretch on new document
by deena.sk / October 12, 2009 8:00 AM PDT

Thank you for your reply. Yup I checked and the font is not the problem as you said. I created a new document in Indesign and put in only the logo and saved it as pdf. It is still stretching the logo. Even when I printed directly from Indesign and pdf its the same, logo is stretched.

Any suggestions on what I can do? How can I check the aspect ratio dimensions besides going to document setup. will reinstalling Indesign help sort this problem out? What are your thoughts?

Collapse -
Your efforts
by ChuckT / October 12, 2009 8:48 AM PDT

It makes no sense in trying out different file creation tests. Your problem is probably not the creation of the file, since you said it looks good on the screen. Plus, you also said your colleague has no problem with printing the file.

In my opinion, I think your problem has something to do with your page setup, on your printer, on your computer.

Collapse -
All checked. Even external printer prints stretch logo
by deena.sk / October 12, 2009 9:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Your efforts

I've already check the page setup on printer and computer and they are fine. They are the same. I've even sent the artwork to my external printer guys and the same thing has happened, logo is stretch. So I suspect its the setup in my system which is causing the initial problem. Now if I open a new document say and A4, it doesnt look the size of an A4, but if I check the document setup the measurements are to an A4 size. Is it worth re-installing the software?

Collapse -
A4 vs Letter size
by ChuckT / October 12, 2009 9:21 AM PDT

You are printing A4? Is that your preferred size?

What is the page setup dimensions of your PDF creation program? It has to match throughout.

No, I would not think re-installing the software is going to change anything, especially since I believe it is a simple error in one of your settings.

Collapse -
Custom size
by deena.sk / October 12, 2009 9:31 AM PDT
In reply to: A4 vs Letter size

The artwork is for presentation folder. The size is custom 216x316mm. This size has been given by the printers for this job. I assume if I convert it to pdf it should automatically use this size as per the size the file is being created. Is that right?

When I do a test print on my printer here, and I dont select fit to page option, and choose none, it should print out ok but this doesnt happen. Is there other possible settings that I can check on in the software that may help?

Collapse -
That is a custom size
by ChuckT / October 12, 2009 1:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Custom size

Since A4 is almost exactly 210x297mm, the size 216x316 is somewhat odd. I found some use of that size in some European notebooks, but nothing official.

However, no matter on what size paper you print on, the size and shape should come out exactly what you want, providing that the ink area will fit on the paper.

So what's the problem? I can't tell, since you are not telling me what you are using to print with, the software, that is. And even if your told me, I may not be able to know, or find out what controls there are that control the hardcopy output. You did say one thing though, and that is "I dont select fit to page option."

From what you mention, that is the sort of control that you DO NOT want to use, and you say you aren't... but is that what you are getting? I can't tell. But it sounds like you may be getting the size distortion you thought you shut off.

Look into that more. If other people are getting the print results you want, then see what they are doing that is different.

I can't help much more that that. Sorry, and good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.