Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

File Copying Error Message

by TFowlkes / September 14, 2005 5:03 AM PDT

When I try to copy jpeg files to my flash drive or to a CD-RW, after a few files have copied, I get an error message that says "Error: Cannot copy file". Here the process stops. I check and the destination has plenty of storage space and the file that it stops on does not have a Read-only attribute. What's going on?

No matter what I try, it will not copy any more files.

(HP P4 2.0GHZ Notebook running WinXP Home)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: File Copying Error Message
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: File Copying Error Message
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
File Copying Error Message
by Themisive / September 14, 2005 5:09 AM PDT

What's the Flash drive capacity, have you enough space for ALL the files you are copying?

Another point, are you downloading jpegs or are you editing them with a software programme like Adobe Photoshop? If the latter, then you should be able to save each one directly to your Flash Drive.

Collapse -
Straight copy with space
by TFowlkes / September 14, 2005 1:03 PM PDT

It is a 1GB Lexar Thumbdrive with plenty of storage space and I am doing a straight copy from harddrive to thumbdrive.

Collapse -
Try this
by Stan Chambers / September 14, 2005 3:08 PM PDT

Download, install, and run this cleaner.
CCleaner fixes registry issues, and cleans out all those temp files, and is very fast.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4191.html

For copy errors MS recommends cleaning all the temp files from your drive, as one possible solution.
If your not comfortable with cleaning the registry, just run the cleaner to clear all the temporary files.

Collapse -
or...
by jeniesis1 / September 14, 2005 3:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Try this

you could open RUN and type %temp% then ENTER. then just delete everything in that folder and try copying again. But if cleaning the registry and temp folder fails. there a possibility that the file your copying is corrupted.

fill me in: does the error appear at the exact same percentage?

Collapse -
Error copying file or folder: Parameter is incorrect
by everchine / December 2, 2005 10:44 PM PST

I've been trying to copy jpg files, no larger than 700kb, from a Sony 64MB memory stick duo (from my mobile phone Sony Ericsson 750i) to my C: drive. Some jpg files can be copied and some can't. Those that don't get copied over produce an error message "DSC0000xx cannot be copied: The parameter is incorrect."

Am using a Dell Dimension 8300, Pentium 4 2.8GHz, 512MB RAM and Windows XP (2002) SP2. My C: drive capacity is 111GB and I still have free space of 91GB.

Could someone please help me out here? A solution will be much appreciated.

Collapse -
What happens if you use a COMMAND LINE copy?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2005 10:56 PM PST

While I don't offer tutorials on the command line, the COPY command line is fairly simple to learn and use.

What happens if you use that?

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.