Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

File Conversions - Need help!

by Exentric11 / July 26, 2014 1:37 PM PDT

I was in the middle attempting to view / edit a .conf file in CodeBlocks, a Cross-platform IDE.

So, I try to open the file to edit it but there was no way to open it unless i chose a program to run it from or browsed for one. I selected Notepad and opened it but forgot to uncheck the "select as default program for this file".....

I basically have no idea how to reset the file or reconvert it because I have no idea what it was being opened with before!

Can someone please help me?

Exentric11 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: File Conversions - Need help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: File Conversions - Need help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Sorry but is this an Association question?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2014 2:12 AM PDT

I see no reason for any "conversions" so if you are a programmer take time to learn the lingo.
Bob

Collapse -
How is this not considered conversions?
by Exentric11 / July 27, 2014 3:23 AM PDT

I opened a file with a .conf extension. I tried to view the file to edit it with a program on my computer - Notepad - and when I opened the file, it set the default program for this .conf file to be Notepad. Does this effect the codes interpretation by CodeBlocks? It says its still a .conf file but I'm confused because the symbol of the .conf file is now Notepad's logo.

If I claimed anywhere in my previous post that I was an extremely skilled programmer, please.. Quote me. I'm just beginning to learn programming. This is the 1st platform I have began to use on my homed still PC anhave tons to learn, hence why I posted this on a forum, the first forum I have ever joined.... If you're on a forum helping someone asking questions they couldn't find already on the web, its highly possible they don't know the "lingo" for the problem they're having. If I had, maybe I would have been able to figure it out myself and wouldn't have needed to ask such a lingo savvy programmer such as yourself.

Collapse -
Because if you call something new
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2014 3:27 AM PDT

Then you may not get the help you wanted. File Association is a basic Windows feature and not conversion.

Why not use the open with feature and search but remember to associate it with what you want the next time?

I know some folk new to all this will lash out at any help so go right ahead but you might scare off replies. Take the time to learn the lingo. You'll save yourself a lot of time later.
Bob

Collapse -
by Exentric11 / July 27, 2014 3:34 AM PDT

If you attempt to open a file and your computer doesn't have the program to open it, and you select a program to open the file with... will that result in corrupting the information in the file in any way for the CodeBlocks to read it as it has? The file i was attempting to view is a file containing CodeBlocks default color scheme. I was going to replace some of the code with some I found online. Do you better understand what my issue is? Cause I may just be worried about this when it may not even effect CodeBlocks.

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2014 4:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply

Only if you open it in say Word then save it. Word will indeed alter it.

A .conf (aka configuration file) is plain text. As we can type whatever we want into this file, I guess those new to programming may call it corruption or forget we are dealing with a many decade old idea of typing into files to control things. That is, I'm running into new to programming folk that think everything should be in some GUI interface.

OK, back to your .conf file. You could always make a copy before you try it.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: .conf
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 27, 2014 4:20 AM PDT

If Notepad works, it's a good program to edit it with. Be sure that if - after editing - you save it again, it doesn't become config.conf.txt; if it does, just rename it back in Windows Explorer or the command prompt.

What you do with file associations won't influence the way the application uses it in any way.

Kees

Collapse -
Try this one as it talks about the machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2014 4:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Association
Collapse -
(NT) good one!
by James Denison / July 27, 2014 5:26 AM PDT

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Exentric11

Collapse -
Ahh, so the ICON of the file seems to confuse some.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2014 4:29 AM PDT

I've run into new to Windows folk that they equate the icon of a file type to mean something. It really doesn't mean that much. It's like a label on a can. You can put other labels on the cans but it won't change what's inside.
Bob

Collapse -
Ok thank you for the help.
by Exentric11 / July 27, 2014 4:33 AM PDT

I thought the default program the file opened with, even though the file type stayed the same would effect the information in it. Appreciate the help.

Collapse -
In all the years doing this
by James Denison / July 27, 2014 4:40 AM PDT

I think that's the first time I've seen that question before!

Collapse -
Answer
It needs to be said
by Jimmy Greystone / July 27, 2014 6:16 AM PDT

It needs to be said, and despite what some will undoubtedly think, I'm not saying it with any intent of malice or ill will.

If you are lacking what I would consider to be among the basics of the basics, you really should reconsider programming. At least until you've significantly expanded your basic computer knowledge. There's the saying that you need to learn to walk before you can learn to run, but in this case you haven't even mastered crawling yet.

I wholeheartedly encourage you to take up programming if you're interested, but for the time being you need to set that aside and spend more time just learning how computers and computer software works. You can use these forums as a good measuring stick. When you are able to start answering questions, or at least aren't left completely befuddled by the question, then you can start thinking about getting back to programming if you're still interested.

Programming is a lot of hard work and it's typically a thankless job. Much like a janitor, if you do your job well, no one even knows you did it, but they will not hesitate to complain often and loudly if you're somehow lax. You have to be able to anticipate every single stupid thing users of your software could possibly do, and try to account for them in your code. You'll invariably fail, because someone will always come up with something you never anticipated, but it won't stop them from blaming you. I wrote/maintain a couple of small macros for the people I work with and they involve collecting various bits of information and then generating a series of email shells based on those answers. At one point I ask very specifically for a NUMBER that we use to keep track of all the changes we make. Anyone who works with SAP will know what an ECM is. I anticipated people using the 5-digit shorthand we use internally and convert that out to the full 12-digit format, but what I didn't anticipate initially (since I explicitly asked for them to enter in a NUMBER) was that someone would put "ECM12345" into the box instead of just "12345". So one of my coworkers was asking me why my program was broken and eventually we whittled it down to how she was trying to use the program in a way I didn't anticipate. Now I have it so if they try and enter anything other than a number they get an annoying error message and can't proceed, but things like that will always happen no matter what. So without some level of skill in basic troubleshooting, you'll be at a serious disadvantage when trying to debug your code.

Tl;Dr version: Set aside being a programmer for now and focus on building up your basic computer skills. Then you can go back to programming if you're still interested.

Collapse -
that was a wonderful post!
by James Denison / July 27, 2014 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: It needs to be said

kudos!

Collapse -
Answer
the short of this is;
by James Denison / July 27, 2014 8:11 AM PDT

you are the user. What you choose to use to open a file has no effect on what the system will do when it calls that same file from a program. For instance, I can have and do have all *.bat files associated with notepad. That by no means stops it from being an executable if run in a command box. Reason is because the system has one set of rules for files and you the user are setting file associations that only pertain to you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?